ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

I guess I jumped on the bandwagon too late, speech analysis is gone. Can someone who's actually used this feature tell me if it worked well and what the alternatives are now?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Rouric
I guess I jumped on the bandwagon too late, speech analysis is gone. Can someone who's actually used this feature tell me if it worked well and what the alternatives are now?
on Apr 22, 2015 at 10:01:13 am
Last Edited By Jeff Rouric on Apr 22, 2015 at 10:04:40 am

Hi, I'm migrating from FCP7 to Premiere CC, so far it seems friendly enough, but I've been told that it had a speech analysis/script sync (like Avid) feature and that sent me over the top. No more transcribing multiple video clips that take up to 8 hours of carpal tunnel-inducing typing for this guy!

But then I realized the feature had been removed at the start of this year...and I can't downgrade. WHY would they remove that? Did it work well? Well enough for Avid to be like "Nah, that's ours, take it out"?

I'm trying the 30-day trial of CC before committing to a payment...

Thanks

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
Re: I guess I jumped on the bandwagon too late, speech analysis is gone. Can someone who's actually used this feature tell me if it worked well and what the alternatives are now?
on Apr 22, 2015 at 11:45:46 am
Last Edited By Alex Udell on Apr 22, 2015 at 11:46:44 am

Hi...

If you also grab hold of CS6 tools...I Think you may still be able to do the Speech Anlaysis...

once the metadata (xmp) is associated with the clips.... you could still use the search by speech functions it in current PPro.

My sense is that Adobe discontinued it because it was not very successful. If you have a script to match the voice to (train it), then it worked well. If you were just depending it to transcribe for you, the accuracy was not great.

An alternative that's still available is : http://www.borisfx.com/Soundbite/

not used it, but it is phoneme based as opposed to dictionary based (Adobe's implementation).

I don't know the exact workflow with PPpro, but my guess is that it resides outside of editing to help you find material to bring into the editing environment.

Take a look. Curious to know what you think...

hope that helps.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: I guess I jumped on the bandwagon too late, speech analysis is gone. Can someone who's actually used this feature tell me if it worked well and what the alternatives are now?
on Apr 22, 2015 at 12:57:27 pm

I don't think Soundbite transcribes, it is a search tool for words or phrases. I've used it mostly for audio editing when looking for clean versions of phrases for repair work. You specify the clip/clips and if/when you find the word/phrase your looking for, you can import markers into your project.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 22, 2015 at 1:05:30 pm

You can always try playing back in realtime and having a smartphone create a transcript, but unfortunately there are no dedicated transcript apps.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Jeff Rouric
on Apr 22, 2015 at 10:43:07 pm

Ohhhh....so it was THAT accurate...ok now I understand why it was removed, I guess I'm not missing much. Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 22, 2015 at 12:41:49 pm

I wrote an article about it here on the Cow way back when, when I covered the launch of CS4. The accuracy of its speech to text translation was simply not good enough to be useful for most users, and though it was thought that the technology would improve the accuracy over time, it never did.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Apr 22, 2015 at 3:32:24 pm

You can install the previous version while you have the new version installed. Just go to the CC desktop ap and filter by version. Install CS7.0 which has the old feature. You won't be able to bring it forward into the new version, but it might help you try it out. When I tried it on interviews in a multi-cam shoot in the past, results where not very accurate.

Attaching pic of Desktop CC ap so you can see where to download.

Andy

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Apr 22, 2015 at 6:06:49 pm

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/speech-analysis.html

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 22, 2015 at 7:32:42 pm
Last Edited By David Roth Weiss on Apr 22, 2015 at 7:34:19 pm

"At the time of implementing Speech Analysis, it was anticipated that the underlying engine for this feature would improve at a faster rate than it did. Over time, user feedback and research confirm that this feature is not feasible to a degree of accuracy that is useful to users." - Adobe

Told ya so...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

Jeff Rouric
on Apr 22, 2015 at 10:38:39 pm

Yeah, I tried that, but it doesn't show up for me. Maybe it's because I'm still on the trial mode. The only previous versions that show up are for Edge Animate and Gaming SDK, which I don't even know about let alone use.

Thanks though.

Return to posts index

James Strawn
on Apr 22, 2015 at 7:40:16 pm

Based on feedback from customers, Speech to Text did not meet their needs as well as was hoped. So it was removed from Premiere Pro 2014 as well as Prelude and AME.
http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2014/11/update-on-speech-to-text-functio...

It can still be used if you roll back to PrPro 2013 or CS6.
http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2014/01/29/revert-to-a-previous-version...

I've had pretty good results using the build in google talk app on my samsung phone, so mate there;es hope that that area of technology is significant;y improving and we can welcome it back into PrPro someday. That's purely speculation on my part, no inside info here.

Software Quality Assurance - Digital Video at Adobe Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]