ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere pro exporting problemo

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Berty Goldstein
Premiere pro exporting problemo
on Apr 21, 2015 at 12:15:42 am

Hello my friends, I am here today with a, probably simple, problemo.

When I export a clip from the project bin, shows up in my documents full length with audio, but no video at all. I export it as a quicktime video, and I have made sure I in fact have quicktime player installed. Could it be a problem with the source footage?

Here is the source data

Here is the desired output data.

Is there any other format I should be exporting it as on a pc? I have come from FCP my whole life and have always used quicktime. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Premiere pro exporting problemo
on Apr 21, 2015 at 3:52:11 am

If you want to watch Cineform outside of Premiere you'll need to install the GoPro Studio software. It comes with the codec.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Apr 21, 2015 at 1:52:19 pm

Since you are editing on the PC, get away from the thought of QuickTime. Use an .avi format instead, such as Cineform (install free GoPro Studio to get the codec). QuickTime Player has issues with colors on playback and also QT engine is 32-bit, which will slow down Premiere which wants to operate as 64-bit.

I see you had the codec settings at "12-bit with alpha", quite likely not what you would need to use in any case.

It's recommended with any NLE to have a fast, dedicated drive for video and to NOT use the C: drive if you can help it.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Berty Goldstein
on Apr 21, 2015 at 9:47:21 pm

Oh man didn't think about some of that. I exported as an AVI its the original quality, thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Apr 22, 2015 at 1:14:20 pm

Just pay attention to the CODEC used with the .avi export, as the default is likely UNCOMPRESSED which you do not want, files are MASSIVE.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Berty Goldstein
on Apr 22, 2015 at 10:56:08 pm

Yeah it was. I exported uncompressed and the 5 minute video was 40gb. What is the difference between uncompressed and compressed?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Apr 23, 2015 at 1:14:48 pm

Check out this video:

Also, search the web for "video compression" for more tutorials.

Camcorder formats are very highly compressed, so there is nothing to gain by exporting as uncompressed - it balloons the file size but does not improve quality, since so much data was thrown out with the original compression does not come back.

Here's a link to an article I did about some of the different compressed .avi codecs that you can install on your PC - http://blog.sharbor.com/blog/2014/06/mezzanine-codec-options-for-pc-video-e...

A good .avi codec with 4:2:2 color and intra-frame compression will pretty faithfully retain image quality for creating a "master file" of your edited work, for archiving or from which to export other formats later such as YouTube video.

You don't want to "Master" to something like H.264 because the compression is so much higher, too much quality loss. That is for delivery where you really need to shrink the file size.

Hope this helps

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Apr 23, 2015 at 1:34:22 pm

"the 5 minute video was 40gb. What is the difference between uncompressed and compressed?

Short answer: about 38GB ;-)

Jeff

Return to posts index

Berty Goldstein
on Apr 23, 2015 at 9:43:54 pm

Haha thanks. I had read online that uncompressed provided a higher quality but I f=guess not. Ill use of the codecs for it, thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Apr 23, 2015 at 10:20:11 pm

Uncompressed IS the best quality...but not if the source is already compressed. If you're creating some kind of After Effects creation for broadcast, by all means one can use uncompressed. Think short works like commercials, or special effects segments that are going to see further compositing/layering, then "lossless" would be the way to go.

I've been editing NLE since the late 90s and have never used uncompressed. Just high-quality .avi codecs and results are fine for my needs (corporate, wedding, events).

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]