ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

External drive options for editing 4k files in premiere on laptop?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Piotr BrylExternal drive options for editing 4k files in premiere on laptop?
by on Apr 18, 2015 at 12:40:29 am

I run a 17" macbook pro 2.5ghz intel core i7 and currently using a G-RAID from about 5 years ago for video editing. It's ok for my standard footage, but now with the GH4 4k files, premiere pro stalls whenever I try using the files. I do create proxies at this point, but I would rather just work with the 4K files directly. To do so, I'm assuming working off an external thunderbolt drive would do the trick, but I wanted to ask those who have had luck running 4k files on a laptop successfully. Anyone?

If I must go with an external drive to run my 4k files, what do you recommend? I'm on a budget unfortunately.

Would this suffice? http://store.apple.com/ca/product/HFY72ZM/A/lacie-3tb-d2-thunderbolt-2-usb-...

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: External drive options for editing 4k files in premiere on laptop?
by on Apr 18, 2015 at 11:40:39 am

You'd want a RAID like a Promise Pegasus thunderbolt one. One disk is pretty slow and it really doesn't matter that much if it is on USB3 or thunderbolt.

Return to posts index

Kannan RaghavanRe: External drive options for editing 4k files in premiere on laptop?
by on Apr 19, 2015 at 8:05:56 am

+1 to what Tero says. You need a Thunderbolt RAID like the Promise Pegasus (RAID5) or if portability is more important the GRaid Thunderbolt (RAID 0) is good. I use them both and they serve me well. Caldigit and the other vendors here also offer Thunderbolt solutions.
What NLE do you use? Editing 4K files natively also depends on the processor/playback engine used.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]