ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Making the Leap from FCPX

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

David Rizzio
Making the Leap from FCPX
on Apr 16, 2015 at 9:21:23 pm

Typical noob into, I searched the boards a bit, but didn't see anything like this, so I'm posting here... sorry in advance if there is a thread somewhere that does cover this.

In FCP, the first thing I always do when returning from a shoot, plug in the cameras and create Camera Archive files (.fcarch) of each card, so all the assets and folder structure are forever available. That way, if anything goes wrong with FCPX's optimized media, original media, pointer clips, or any other mysterious FCPX bulls#|t surrounding their horrible non-transparent media management "system" (seeing a pattern here as to why I'm switching?) goes sideways, I can always go back to the .fcarch file and at the very worst, start over.

Now, I've seen some posts and things about simply copying all the contents of the cards to a hard drive using Apple's Finder utility... but in my experience, (learned the hard way) Finder misses hidden things and such, and the copied bits end up being useless as a way of re-importing media/assets? (at least that was my experience with FCP7 and FCPX)

Is there some equivalent in Premiere to creating the Camera Archive files like in FCPX?

Thanks,
Dave

David Rizzio | Multimedia Producer
--//--//--//--//--//--//--//--//--
Moore College of Art & Design
http://www.moore.edu

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
Re: Making the Leap from FCPX
on Apr 16, 2015 at 9:31:12 pm

You can use Prelude to load the card and then Transfer Clips to Destination without any transcoding and it will duplicate the card structure. This is really handy with AVCHD as you can only select the clips you want and it will create a AVCHD structure with just your selects.

I've had plenty of problems with FCPX not reading copies of cards but have never had a problem with PPro or Prelude reading a Finder level copy.

Return to posts index

David Rizzio
on Apr 16, 2015 at 9:41:53 pm

Oh, cool. Thanks Paul. Didn't know about Prelude. Seems like a good first step!

Return to posts index

James Strawn
on Apr 16, 2015 at 10:24:31 pm

+ 1 on integrating Prelude into your workflow for the ingesting process. As a bonus, you can use it to log clips or perhaps even make rough cuts before sending to PrPro.

Once in premiere pro, if you need to import files (assuming you didn't send them all directly in from prelude), it's good practice to use the Media Browser for previewing and importing files because it's smarter about understanding folder dependent file structures where the audio/video (and perhaps some metadata, etc...) are not all part of one standalone file.

Return to posts index

David Rizzio
on Apr 17, 2015 at 12:56:20 pm

Yeah, thanks James. Pretty immediately started looking on Lynda.com for Prelude education. :-) Def gonna get up to speed today, and lock in a solid ingestion and archiving process.

Thanks
Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]