ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Shrinking someone in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel McGillShrinking someone in After Effects
by on Apr 15, 2015 at 10:00:57 pm

I am working on a new short film and in one of the scenes the main character is shrunk down and becomes stuck inside a belljar.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this, I know I will need a green screen but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Blaise DourosRe: Shrinking someone in After Effects
by on Apr 16, 2015 at 5:33:50 pm

Make sure you've figured out the size of your character in relation to the jar. When shooting your greenscreen footage, give your actor an on-set marking to make sure they are not stepping outside the jar's space. That keeps things consistent for you when you go to composite.

I would also recommend doing some sort of practical effect for any close-ups of the actor, to help simulate the distortion of the glass. If it were me, I might try to shoot those closeups with a thick glass partition, so you don't have to add that effect in post. If I were doing this on a scrappy budget, I might go someplace with big revolving doors, and use the curved glass panel as a stand-in for the jar, with a portable greenscreen in the background.

Pay really close attention to perspective and depth of field, and if possible, shoot your background plates first so you can refer to them in your studio setup, where you have more control. A lighting diagram of your background set will help you match the lighting in-studio.

Return to posts index

Rachel McGillRe: Shrinking someone in After Effects
by on Apr 27, 2015 at 3:32:23 pm

Thanks so much, that really helps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved