ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Migrating to a new MBP

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim CunninghamMigrating to a new MBP
by on Apr 10, 2015 at 10:44:47 pm

I have just purchased a new MBP and am a CC subscriber(and have CS6). I'm considering the best ways to move from my old MBP to the new.

The Apple store folks suggest using Time Machine, which is supposed to be pretty painless, and considering all of the plug-ins and their serial # etc, is most tempting. However, a new machine will allow a clean install, which in the long run may avoid other performance issues.

Any sage advice?

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Migrating to a new MBP
by on Apr 17, 2015 at 3:32:00 am

No, jk. A clean install will get it all back, but with Yosemite, there are still a lot of issues. Be prepared to contend with those. If you want your prores back, you'll have to install your apple codecs first, then install the preset that matches the codecs. For compressor 3 and below, use the cs6 set, for compressor 4 and above, use the CC set.

As for time machine... ...useless for anything but your documents. Unfortunately, there aren't as many useful options for moving on the mac as there are for pc. Use to be that I you could use firewire to move the files and profile without disturbing the system, even some of the apps. Not anymore. Truly unfortunate.

Acronis has an imaging software, but I haven't tried it. You might check with them. They might be able to do their imaging and recover all the drivers and such into place much like with their windows software. Their windows software allows you to upgrade to a newer machine, keeping the same software and locations, but allows you to upgrade and replace drivers first.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved