ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Using multiple clips at the same time in same window

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric VondellUsing multiple clips at the same time in same window
by on Apr 10, 2015 at 5:03:02 pm

I need to show multiple clips at the same time for an upcoming video project. I really like the way VICE does it with their introduction to all of their VICE on HBO shorts. Is there a plugin or simple way that I can do this? I have access to Adobe PP & AF, as well as Final Cut.

Example of what I'm looking for (0.26 - 0.52 sec)
VICE on HBO Season One: The Hermit Kingdom (Episode 10)

Any advice would be awesome!

Return to posts index

Oki PienandoroRe: Using multiple clips at the same time in same window
by on Apr 11, 2015 at 12:34:30 am
Last Edited By Oki Pienandoro on Apr 11, 2015 at 2:22:58 am

Double/triple the video you want in the timeline, use crop under video effects|Transform.
Resize some of the video frame to your taste.

Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Using multiple clips at the same time in same window
by on Apr 11, 2015 at 2:46:14 am

First, determine an output size. Is this bigger or smaller than your input size? It should be at least one step smaller for the best result with this one, but it can be of equal size.

IF output is smaller and sequence is set to output size, your video will be bigger than your desired frame. You can have it zoom out to the proper size at the first frame and hold that until you need to move it again. At this point, the process becomes very similar across situations.

If not smaller but equal for output size, you're looking at doing some cropping, zooming and positioning in your effect controls. Similar for larger output as well, but you'll have to zoom it where you want.

One standard effect is the top\bottom split of video games. You resize your clips to half the frame, and position one at the top, one at the bottom, over the course of a second or two using keyframes in your effect controls.

Another standard effect is to zoom each to your wanted square view, crop it to a square about half the frame in size, and place one to the right and one to the left. Doing this, you either want to find an area where the color lines up just right, so the split is almost seamless, or you want to place a small gap of a neutral variant color (white, black, or a neon halfway between two of the colors at the edge) that will define the split in the screens, while making sure main subjects are zoomed almost equally. To get black just leave space in between, but for white or neon, you may have to apply another effect or clipping that places a bar where the split is. I suggest using illustrator to make a PNG with an alpha channel and then lay the png on a video track over the split screen area and allow the other videos to show through.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved