ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Multicam Audio Channels: Where does my wav file go?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marissa Aroy
Multicam Audio Channels: Where does my wav file go?
on Apr 7, 2015 at 4:09:04 pm

I have these ingredients:
1. Cam A video clip with camera mic sound
2. Cam B video clip with camera mic sound
3. Cam C video clip with camera mic sound
4. Discrete wav file with four tracks (three lavaliers + 1 boom mic)

I sync all of them together and create a multicam sequence.

Q. How does Premiere order my audio tracks?
Q. Is there a way to know where my discrete wav file will live?

I don’t want to get rid of any of my camera mic sound in case it captured something not captured by the discrete wav file.

Any help you can give me would be great.

Thanks,
Marissa

working on Premiere Pro CC 2014 v8.1 on a MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: Multicam Audio Channels: Where does my wav file go?
on Apr 8, 2015 at 1:30:40 pm

[Marissa Aroy] "Q. How does Premiere order my audio tracks?"

[Marissa Aroy] "Q. Is there a way to know where my discrete wav file will live?"

PPro places Video multicam sources in the order they are selected. Literally. if you click on Cam B, then A and then C then your mulitcam will have B as angle 1, A as angle 2, C as angle 3. After you have created your multicam you can re-order by using the "Edit Cameras" function - (put your multicam in the event viewer, choose the wrench icon in the the viewer, then select "edit cameras.") - but this will only effect where the video cameras are placed in the multicam matrix.

WAV files do not follow this rule. The crucial element for using WAV files is choosing the proper audio layout when creating your multiclip. After selecting your audio and video files and then hitting create multiclip you will get the "Create Multicamera" dialogue box. About halfway down there is an "Audio" area and the key is the "Sequence Settings" selector. I would suggest you choose "Camera 1" - this way your WAV file will be the default audio for the multiclip - in your case the 4 audio channels will be available whenever you want to add audio, they will be laid out in the order of the WAV file. You will not see the WAV file as an "angle" when viewing the multicamera clip in the source or program viewer, but if you select the multiclip in the browser and then right click and choose "open in timeline" you will see the WAV file tracks laid out as the first 4 tracks in the multiclip timeline. If you need to get back to the camera mic sound you can hit match frame (F key) once to pull pull up the multiclip, then a second time to pull up the original source clip, which you can then use to access your camera audio.

The other 2 choices for Audio layout - "All Cameras" and "Switch Audio" will place your WAV file as the last angle and it will be labeled as such in the event viewer. With these options you would have mulitclip access to both WAV and Camera audio in the multiclip but it can be a major PITA working this way, having to constantly switch off unwanted audio tracks and I don't think these would be appropriate for what you want, but you can experiment by creating a test multiclip using each of these options and then opening them in a timeline to see the results.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Marissa Aroy
on Apr 8, 2015 at 1:43:12 pm

Herb,

This is a wonderful complete answer. Thank you. I resisted choosing "Camera 1" in the "Audio" area in the "Sequence Settings" because I didn't think you would be able to go back to the camera audio should you need it.

Thank you very much for your time and help. It will help me in the future. Unfortunately, I've already finished multi-cam-ing our clips (I chose all cameras and thus have the unfortunate task of having dozens of tracks of audio and trying to figure out what is what.

Gratefully yours,
Marissa

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 8, 2015 at 3:28:46 pm

[Marissa Aroy] "I chose all cameras and thus have the unfortunate task of having dozens of tracks of audio and trying to figure out what is what."

If you open up the multicam clips in the timeline you will see clearly how the audio is distributed. My guess is the first 6 channels will be the audio from the first 3 cameras, then the WAV file will be set on the final track as a single "Adaptive" track which means multiclip audio 7-10 will be WAV 1-4.

Good luck.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]