ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Finding subclip in parent clip

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan BrunettinFinding subclip in parent clip
by on Apr 6, 2015 at 5:01:26 pm

I have just started working with Premiere after years of FCPX and I am struggling a bit to do the same things I did before.

One thing that was easy to do in FCPX was finding where in a parent clip a subclip resides. You'd just select a subclip in the timeline, hit the "F" key and in the library window up would come the parent clip containing that subclip with the segment of the parent highlighted showing exactly which portion of it was the subclip in question.

I'm trying to do the same in Premiere but it's not giving me the info I want. The only such search I can do only seems to bring up in the Source window the parent clip but there's no indication wherein lies the subclip I'm looking for.

Does this make sense?

Return to posts index

Caitlin KleiboerRe: Finding subclip in parent clip
by on Apr 6, 2015 at 8:32:13 pm

This works for me in Premiere. Perhaps you have your shortcut keys set differently than I. If you go to your Premiere Pro menu and select "Keyboard Shortcuts", in the search bar type in Match Frame. I have my Match frame set to "F" so when I select a clip on the timeline and hit F, it brings up the parent clip in source window. You can also change the shortcuts to be whatever you want. (If one is already set press the X next to the key and then double click it to set your own)

Is that what you were looking for?

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Finding subclip in parent clip
by on Apr 6, 2015 at 9:03:30 pm

Yes actually. Premiere sees each clip in a timeline referring to a file. You can dupe a clip in a timeline without dupeing the file. The downside is that you'll have to create subclips from your source to go right to them later if you want a visual indicator of where a subclip lies. However, hovering over your clip in the timeline will give you some specifics (as well as right click and properties option) that you can use to create a subclip and replace the clip in the timeline with it.

There are several ways to create subclips:
1. Place clips in their own sequence, then dupe this and make subclips by marking in and out.
2. Right click the clip, and make a subclip, and use the source panel to mark the in out.
3. Using the source panel, mark the clip and make subclips (they will show up in the panel).

With method 2 and three, you will find that the indicator shows as in\out marks in the source panel, while method one puts it all into a sequence panel.

To replace the clip in the timeline so you have your indicator, select the subclip in the project panel. Then go to the timeline and right click the clip you want to replace\refer; select replace with clip from bin. You will now have that clip refer to the subclip, which will have an indicator of where the subclip lies; use the source monitor to view it.

Return to posts index

Alan BrunettinRe: Finding subclip in parent clip
by on Apr 6, 2015 at 11:11:02 pm

Hmm...well thanks for your detailed response but if not sure we're talking about the same thing

I get the part about the clip being referring files but...hmm...well, let me approach it from a different direction:

I was given a drive with footage. I started the project not knowing I was going to have to give up the drive before I was finished with the footage. So I copied everything from the drive onto my machine, retaining all the directory parameters and started working from my hard drive. After a brief hiccup in re linking media everything fell into place except for two pesky sub clips that refused to give up the ghost and maintained that annoying crosshatching.

So what I wanted to do was find the clips within the parent clip and replace from that. But without timecode I can't find the material in the parent. What did confuse me in your reply was the part about Creating sub lips from the source. I actually thought I was doing that.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 7, 2015 at 12:32:21 am

Sub clips in premiere are different. They reference the original clip, but have an in out mark applied, and look different by their icon and label color. The ones you have may be broken or they may need to simply be rendered. Premiere sees them as an effect, especially if they are slapped up against another clip, there is transition there. If rendering doesn't work, they are broken.

To recreate them, you'll need to know their in point and their duration (premiere uses the in and duration, and you can use Out if you wish), so scroll to the right in your project panel to see the timecode info you'll need. If no scroll bar, try messing with the width of the panel until it shows up, then scroll it to the right. You'll see 4 TC's. The first is the original start, the second an in point (subclip start), the third is an out point (subclip end) and the last is the original clip end. Write them down, then recreate your subclips (rename them) and use the new ones to replace the old in the sequence (do not just delete, it will remove them from the sequence; replace first). This will fix the project.

This is also why I prefer using sequences for clips. I place the clip in a sequence, and dupe that to make a subclip, then mark and in out in the dupe. I can then use that dupe as a nested subclip. I can multicam or multi audio a clip the same way. More versatile.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 11, 2015 at 5:01:27 am

To create a sub clip... have to TELL premiere you want to create one. It will treat it like it's own file, and list it in the program monitor. How to TELL premiere you want a sub clip? open an original clip in the source monitor, go to where you want it to start, mark an in, go to where you want it to end, mark an out, and then you use the command "Make Subclip" from the clip or marker menu (don't remember which off hand).

Or... ...You select the original, in the project panel, and go to the menu and build the sub clip, then open the sub clip in the source monitor and mark in out.

To view where a clip falls in a parent clip, double click it on the timeline, and look in the Source Monitor panel. The blue Highlight area shows the in-out for that particular version of the clip, even if it isn't listed in the project panel as a sub clip.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 13, 2015 at 11:38:31 pm

Well, firstly, I did what you said, Ht Davis, made a subclip, put it in the timeline and then double-clicked it, but it showed up in the the Source window in stand-alone form; not as a parent clip with that portion indicated.

Similarly, I opened the parent clip in the source window, did an in/out cut and put it into a timeline. I then double-clicked on that clip and that brought up the parent again with only in/out points marked; nothing was highlighted.

But I wonder if we're mixing our terminology? When I say a subclip of a parent clip I'm merely referring to a shorter piece of a larger clip that itself is a portion of a long take. The long take being, say, a ten minute interview; the larger clip being a few sentences spoken; and the "subclip" being a statement culled from those sentences. It's just an edit. No need o create with a menu selection a "Subclip." Ans what I want to be able to do is find that segment I'm calling a subclip within a larger clip in order to reuse it or replace it in the timeline or whatever. FCPX was far more intuitive with this action.

Is this making any sense?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 14, 2015 at 6:02:01 am

The In out section is the highlight. The light blue indicator is the highlighted area (or selected area). Does that make sense? You can have the source window open and then use the clip menu or markers menu to make a sub clip from the in out mark. If you want multiple sub clips, you can create them in the project panel from the project panel or from the source monitor. You can also create different clip variations on a timeline, but this I don't think will show up as a sub clip properly in the source monitor. Using in out marks creates a light blue highlighted section you can use to define a sub clip, and place that set in the project panel as if it were a separate file or clip.

Return to posts index

Myron VazquezRe: Finding subclip in parent clip
by on Apr 15, 2015 at 4:48:41 pm

It sounds like you want to Matchframe from a Subclip to it's Master clip?
You currently can't do that in PrPro. When you Matchframe a Subclip in a Timeline, it matches back to the Subclip and stops there. In AVID when you matchframmed a Subclip it loaded it into the Source Monitor and if you hit Matchframe again it loaded the Master clip into the Source Monitor. I also want that same behavior in PrPro.
So I would suggest Feature Requesting it.

The more people request a feature, the more likely it will get added.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 15, 2015 at 8:11:49 pm

YES! Matchframe. Argh!

I spent how many years with FCPX--since "X" came out really--bemoaning the loss of real tracks and various other details, but I also felt there were a lot of things I liked about it. This was one. Select a subclip in the timeline hit the "F" key and up came in the project widow a graphical indication of where in a larger clip that selected subclip originated and it could be handled as an other clip selection made in that window. It was pretty handy.

Oh well. At least I can stop beating my head against a wall trying to find a nonexistent feature. Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 16, 2015 at 7:53:30 pm

Matchframe does exist in premiere.

From Adobe Site:
Match a frame with its source

While editing in a Timeline panel, you can find the source frame for any frame in a sequence clip and display it in the Source Monitor. Also, you can find the source frame for any frame in a nested sequence, display it in the Source Monitor, and jump to its location in the source sequence.

Click the header of the track where the sequence clip is located, to target the track.
If more than one track is targeted, Premiere Pro will match the frame in the highest targeted track.

In a Timeline panel, position the playhead over the desired frame in a clip.
If the source clip for the frame in the sequence clip is already open in the Source Monitor or listed in the Source menu, the Source Monitor will display the last frame you viewed in the clip. To match the frame, close the clip in the Source Monitor before typing the Match Frame or Reveal Nested Sequence keyboard shortcut.

Do one of the following:
Press the F key.

Choose Sequence > Match Frame.

For a clip in a nested sequence, type the keyboard shortcut for Reveal Nested Sequence, Ctrl-Shift-T (Windows), or Shift-T (Mac OS) by default.

Basically, you can do this in premiere. Unfortunately they are still working on the "Reverse Match Frame" or the logical reversal of this function. It will let you currently see where in a source clip you are at a particular frame, so set the frame to the first frame of your clip, do a match frame, write the frame timecode down, do it again for the end frame. Now you can use those to create your desired sub clip, which premiere sees as it's own clip. Some ask why this is useful, and I may agree with that on some levels, but, ultimately, I like having sub clips I can render out independently of my source and main sequence. When I need just a short teaser or even a highlight reel, the source clips can be uber useful if they're properly named and organized. Better still... ...the GAG reel... A million laughs when I catch an intern or some no name picking their nose just before or after a shoot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved