Sean Winn
Premiere crashing on longer exports
on Apr 3, 2015 at 6:08:20 pm

Hi, I'm on a 27" imac, new in 2013 and the specs are:
- 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
- 8gb ram
- Nvidia GeForce GTX (512)
- Premiere CS6

A few months back, with no system changes, and using the same external hard drive I had been, I started experiencing crashes trying to export longer files (say, 12 minutes & above). I gave me the 'serious error' crash message. I've reinstalled the entire Premium suite, and today, installed Premiere on a Mac laptop and tried exporting the same project video from a clean install and different machine. Same results.

The permissions seem to be correct. I considered formatting my iMac, but glad I didn't because of all the hassle, and it seems a 2 year old Mac shouldn't need reformatting anyway. Now that I tried exporting from a different Mac, I assume there's just something corrupting in the project files or such.

My 2 questions are: Does anyone have insight as to this problem? And, would upgrading to Premiere CC (single app only) potentially make the problem go away?

Thank you for any help. I have a project due to a client today, but can't get the hour long video exported.
Sean

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Premiere crashing on longer exports
on Apr 4, 2015 at 1:18:00 am

It's usually either a problematic plugin, corrupted / incompatible footage, or too little ram.

Too little ram would usually cause a crash at random times. You can also try dumbing media cash and rendered previews.

As a workaround, try exporting in smaller segment to Prores or uncompressed, and them combine the files again in a new sequence for a final export.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Sean Winn
on Apr 4, 2015 at 1:28:03 pm

Vince, thanks for your reply. Appreciate the time. I was successfully able to export it yesterday using Media Encoder (which I never use). Any thoughts on why it would have worked exporting that way vs through Premiere?

Return to posts index

James Bridges
on Feb 13, 2016 at 2:34:21 pm

Sean,
I seem to be having the same issues but my computer turns off completely. I am using CC2015 now and I Amtrak g not to buy a new computer. Has anyone responded to this thread?
Jim

Return to posts index

Sean Winn
on Feb 13, 2016 at 2:59:41 pm

Hi Jim, just Vince's response. I believe mine is caused (had another crash yesterday) by too little Ram. All my exports work perfectly though through Adobe Media Encoder, so I use it all the time.

Return to posts index

James Bridges
on Feb 13, 2016 at 3:02:44 pm

Mmmm, I have 32Gb in my late 2012 IMac(the max you can have), so I do not know what is wrong with mine...

Return to posts index

Sean Winn
on Feb 13, 2016 at 3:06:13 pm

I only have 8gb so assume that's what's wrong with mine...

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Feb 13, 2016 at 3:11:59 pm

Hi James,

If the computer shuts down, it could be hardware related. It might be worth a trip to the Apple Store. Does it only happen with Premiere? Often time faulty ram can cause this, I could be worth testing by removing one stick at the time.

Also try resetting SMC:

Shut down the computer.
Unplug the computer's power cord.
Wait fifteen seconds.
Attach the computer's power cord.
Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Vince Becquiot

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

James Bridges
on Feb 13, 2016 at 3:19:52 pm

Hey Vince,
Thanks for your fast response, I appreciate it. Interestingly we have unplugged the computer and let it sit for a day or two, it then allows us to edit for about 7-9 hours. I am believing this could be a hardware issue...do you think it could be a memory issue? That would be a bit cheaper...

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Feb 13, 2016 at 3:26:56 pm

It could be. Did you add memory recently?

Vince Becquiot

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

James Bridges
on Feb 13, 2016 at 3:37:56 pm

I haven't. Same memory from purchase date. I did have a hard drive recall on it about 6 months ago. No problem accessing the drive.
I've cleared the computers cache, cleaned up the dashboard, freed up 1.4 Tb of storage, but Premiere still crashes and so does Media Encoder.
I am not at my computer this weekend, but I am calling Apple on Monday as well as Adobe.
The whole thing is just plain bizarre...

Return to posts index

James Bridges
on Feb 13, 2016 at 9:27:42 pm

Hey Vince,
I do not think I mentioned, it is only in Premiere and Media Encoder...

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Feb 13, 2016 at 9:33:26 pm

I would say RAM would still be my first thought, especially with a complete shutdown. I would try pulling one out and running the computer for a while.

Vince

Vince Becquiot

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]