ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

4096 x 2304 time lapse stills w/ 1920 x 1080 mov export

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Lantern4096 x 2304 time lapse stills w/ 1920 x 1080 mov export
by on Apr 3, 2015 at 5:37:35 pm

Just moved over to PP from Vegas and working on my first project. I have several time lapse still sequences shot at 4096 x 2304 and a few 1080p MOV files from a GH4 shot at 60 FPS. I imported the stills using the import image sequence.

The stills were created with LR and are cropped at 16 x 9. These are JPG.

The sequence in PP looks great and plays relatively well (its a powerful computer). My old computer would just choke on these in Vegas.

My issue is rendering the export. When I export to 1080p the image is quite degraded. I have used the youtube HD, vimeo and match media settings to test render the output.

I would like to retain the 4096 x 2304 image size so I can pan/zoom and still have 1920 x 1080. I have researched this and most of the advice I located was old and said to change the stills to 1920 x 1080 (not ideal since this would defeat the whole purpose of getting a new computer and moving to PP). I have read newer posts that say this is no longer an issue since the newer engine can handle these file sizes.

So far PP is a lot more stable than Vegas.

Clearly I am doing something wrong. The sequence looks great in PP.

I welcome any suggestions for rendering large still image sequences at 1080p that have 1920 x 1080 MOV files in the same project. Thanks...

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: 4096 x 2304 time lapse stills w/ 1920 x 1080 mov export
by on Apr 3, 2015 at 10:41:34 pm

JPG is a compressed image. The format you are exporting is compressed as well. You tend to lose quality a lot faster with these encodes.

My steps for success:
Save those images as TIFF without compression (select none in photoshop), and blow up the clips to AVCintra50 or pro-res-proxy sizes. This will boost quality in the edits, and you'll have full image formatting for your stills. Now... ...When you export, use a full format first. This will ensure fidelity of quality in the output (use AVCintra50\100 or prores lt\proxy). Now compress it down using the h264 youtube and set the following attributes:

Bitrate= VBR 2pass
Target =8
max=10-12 (dealers choice here)

Now your data rate has less to do with quality and more to do with file size in the compression, as well as the speed at which the data will move when playing it back.

Going from compression to compression, you end up in trouble. If you use the standard adobe presets you can have a problem. Setting bit rate from 5-10 matches internet speeds. Setting a variable rate allows it to compress some areas more, saving space, and some areas less, retaining quality. It makes for great playback. Aim for a rough target of 8-10mbps for 1080 and 5-10 for 720 in h264 for great results.

Return to posts index

Frank LanternRe: 4096 x 2304 time lapse stills w/ 1920 x 1080 mov export
by on Apr 3, 2015 at 11:00:14 pm

Thank you, I appreciate the insight. Will work through this when I get back to my studio tonight.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved