ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Impossible challenge

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip O'MearaImpossible challenge
by on Apr 2, 2015 at 10:09:42 pm

After millennia searching for the answer to this, there doesn't seem to be one!

So my hope lives with you...

Adobe CS6
trying to import avi files:
audio 192 at 48k

Have tried this with every project setting possible in CS6

The files play fine on all media players (wmp and vlc) BUT when I import into PP, there is no audio - no sound and no waveform...

Other avi files have successfully imported into PPCS6 in the past no problem

So here I am.. thought about corruption in the project so restarted and started a new project but no combination makes a difference - there is no audio!

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Impossible challenge
by on Apr 2, 2015 at 11:08:26 pm

Is it possible that there's a missing codec on your system? I have a bunch of .avi files which act just the same way. They were encoded on an Edit* system which used a Matrox card, and they will not appear unless you install the codec.

There are several free apps which will give you all the information you need to find the missing codec - I use MediaInfo:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Trent HappelRe: Impossible challenge
by on Apr 3, 2015 at 12:43:26 am

Yes, please let us know the audio codec. Premiere's native AVI support is a bit limited for audio. Unfortunately, when the audio is not supported, there are cases where Premiere will not report this and it will just import as video only.

Trent Happel
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Impossible challenge
by on Apr 3, 2015 at 2:27:59 am

192 at 48k?
192 is either your bit-rate or your sample rate... Seing as you have the 48k, I'm guessing bit rate, and that you conformed that in AME or another encoder. If they play in VLC and others, you may be looking at a bit-width or file size problem. Check the AVI spec on wikipedia, and make sure your file conforms to normal audio component standards with AVI. It may also be that you are using an audio format that premiere doesn't like. Uncompressed conforms to WAV or PCM standards. You may have better luck re-encoding the files.

Premiere want's 96khz and below for samples, but bit-rate isn't really a consideration unless we're talking WAV files (it won't read non-standard WAV, or anything bigger than 4gb). Your bit-width shouldn't be more than 24bit for smooth conforming, but I've had great luck with files of float 32-bit with audio only outputs to MOV or CAF, which do not have an audio file size limit you'll reach anytime soon.

Make sure you turn on the audio tracks, make sure your playback device is set correctly (AdobeDV is a playback engine that pipes through your machine to your standard audio out, whether that's a device or not it must pipe through your audio drivers first, at least on macs). Also, make sure your audio is not still conforming. If it takes a while, it won't play for a while. I've had the same issue for over an hour when the audio was a huge .MOV. Check the bottom corners of the window for messages about that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved