ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Very STRANGE desynch with Audio...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele PoggiVery STRANGE desynch with Audio...
by on Apr 2, 2015 at 7:58:23 pm

Guys, I'm facing (since months!) a very WEIRD problem, and I'm here finally asking for an advice now that I've tried everything that came to my mind.

I'm editing gaming videos, so:

*video directly captured from a console: 29,97fps
*facecam registered with a Black Magic Pockect Camera: 29,97fps
*audio recorded with Audacity and an external mic

How come that every 2 minutes I lose 3-5 frames of synch? I end up losing seconds, in the end of an one hour video. I really can't understand why, since the Sequence is, of course, at 29,97fps.

"Freelance Post-Producer"

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Mail: snm.poggi@gmail.com
Mobile: +39 3349129191

Return to posts index

Kevin MonahanRe: Very STRANGE desynch with Audio...
by on Apr 2, 2015 at 9:34:08 pm

Hi Michele,
[Michele Poggi] "*video directly captured from a console: 29,97fps"

Your captured video says it's 29.97 fps, but it might have a variable frame rate. Variable frame rate is not supported, so many people transcode VFR footage in Handbrake or the like. Can you try that?

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Michele PoggiRe: Very STRANGE desynch with Audio...
by on Apr 2, 2015 at 10:20:37 pm

So, you're suggesting me to download Handbrake and re-encode the videocamera footage? It's really strange for a professional camera to do variable framerate, and it can't be the game itself to be out of synch because it's the camera's lip synch with the microphone that ends up wrong!

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Very STRANGE desynch with Audio...
by on Apr 3, 2015 at 2:32:55 am

All professional cameras have an image stabilizer if they were made in the last 10 years. Most consumer or Prosumer have had them for about 8 years. I agree with the VFR being the problem.

Forget handbrake. Use AME, re-encode to a bulk and proxy, but turn on FRAME BLENDING. This will find the missing frames and "Guess" them with great results by using frames that have been uncompressed first. You don't have to download handbrake.

Alternatively....

Interpret your footage to the frame rate you want in your sequence. This should help some, but it may affect the quality in areas where the frames drop, but it might solve the audio problem.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 3, 2015 at 7:46:01 am

The problem is that what is out of synch is the camera's video with the external MIC's audio.

By themselves they don't have anything to do with the game's capture. I'll try what you suggested, but I never exported a proxy out of After Effects, is there anything I should know? (probably it's because english isn't my first language, but what did you mean with "to a bulk"?)

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Very STRANGE desynch with Audio...
by on Apr 3, 2015 at 9:40:57 am

Whoa! EXTERNAL audio? Did you sync with internal audio? IF so, then yeah, you have either a frame rate problem, a sample rate problem, or a hearing problem...
Exporting a proxy, turn on Use FRAME BLENDING. This will BLEND several other frames with an algorithm that will guess the motion and will fill in any missing frames, so the audio will match. Your other audio will also be re-synced to the solid frame rate. You can set whatever bit rate you want. That's not the issue. The issue is that your audio and video from your capture are synced just fine because your video just drops a few frames and samples (variable frame rate if the processing isn't fast enough or perfect enough for the full freight frame rate for longer play recordings). With an external audio source, where the sample rate is the only rate (no frames to mess with it), you don't drop any samples or frames, so it probably slides out of sync.
Make sure your audio samples are compatible. 44.1khz is not compatible with much. 96 and 48k are very compatible with one another. Best to match sample rates though. Finally, if all you have is the audio from external, but captured and synced, and still out of joint, it's still your frame rate changing on you. Set it with a proxy and frame blending.

No matter how it happens, a variable frame rate is an unprofessional mess in premiere. In cameras, it happens with OIS (or EIS) image stabilization most often. With capture cards or hardware hardwired to a comp, it happens due to the hardware dropping frames when it isn't fast enough to encode them, or the computer dropping them when it can't ingest them fast enough.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 3, 2015 at 2:03:07 pm

Exactly, I record with an external microphone, I don't use the camera's.

This is surely why the issue happens.

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]