ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Graphics Issues on Macbook Pro related to NVIDIA drivers?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Davis
Graphics Issues on Macbook Pro related to NVIDIA drivers?
on Mar 31, 2015 at 11:53:47 pm

I'm running CC on a late-2014 Macbook Pro. Lately, I have been getting graphics-card/driver related visual distortion (see image).

Apple support suggests it may be related to the NVIDIA driver updates I installed right after purchase. They want me to reinstall the OS and possibly remove the drivers.

I've had no luck searching the forums but just wondering if anyone with more knowledge of CC than Apple may be able to clue me in to the root of the problem. It may just be a bad graphics card but as Apple cannot offer support for 3rd-party apps, I'm wondering if there isn't a known software/driver issue.

I get distortion in OSX in addition to Premiere/AE. Running CUDA driver Version 7.0.29 and Premiere 8.1.

Return to posts index

Sam Shapson
Re: Graphics Issues on Macbook Pro related to NVIDIA drivers?
on Apr 1, 2015 at 4:14:54 am

I experienced this same issue and resolved it after quite a bit of panicked googling.

Your suspicion is correct, CUDA is the culprit here. I removed everything related to CUDA and rebooted, the issue hasn't returned in any form since. Here's where I found the solution: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5985600?tstart=0

The items you need to remove are the following:

/Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate.plist
/Library/PreferencePanes/CUDA Preferences.prefPane
/System/Library/Extensions/CUDA
/System/Library/StartupItems/CUDA
/usr/local/cuda/lib/libcuda.dylib

For good measure, I'd copy them to another folder before you delete each one. Just in case.

Return to posts index

Rob Davis
on Apr 2, 2015 at 4:55:17 pm
Last Edited By Rob Davis on Apr 2, 2015 at 4:57:45 pm

Thanks for your reply, Sam! After removing the CUDA drivers and restarting, I am not seeing the issue upon initial testing. However, I now get the warning that the Mercury Playback Engine is disabled (see photo). Will the lack of NVIDIA drivers restrict performance?

I had updated via these instructions from Adobe: http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2013/09/13/enabling-cuda-for-the-mercur...

Return to posts index

Sam Shapson
on Apr 2, 2015 at 8:50:55 pm

This spooked me too. As I understand it, the error message pretty much tells you what you already know: Cuda isn't in the picture.

Does this decrease performance? My guess is yes, but in exchange you get a working system back. I'm under the impression that CUDA is a way of over clocking your graphics card (please post lords of the underworld, forgive my sin if this is not so) and therefore removing it is a return to normal function.

If you're feeling the strain increase substantially enough, you'll need to reinstall CUDA which shouldn't be too hard, but you'll also wanna make sure you've done your research to see that this issue doesn't recur. In that regard, I don't have a suggestion. I've been living happily CUDA free.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 2, 2015 at 9:37:13 pm

Hi Rob,
For now, switch the Mercury Playback Engine to OpenCL if possible. NVIDIA drivers and OS X Yosemite are not working well together at this time with GPU intensive applications like Premiere Pro.

New drivers were released yesterday, but I haven't tested them yet.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Rob Davis
on Apr 2, 2015 at 9:54:13 pm

Thanks for confirming our suspicions, Kevin. Hopefully, the new update will work so we can take full advantage of our existing system resources.

On that note, can you recommend any resources for improving performance of Premiere and AE on a new Macbook Retina?

Upon purchasing the Macbook for a new show where I need to stay mobile, I tested a 4-disk Raid0 configuration and though it sped up transfers over a single USB 3.0-connected drive, there weren't huge performance gains in Premiere or After Effects in multiple tests I conducted, including grading, effects and multi-cam.

I want to upgrade my system with a thunderbolt raid or additional GPU(s) in an expansion chassis but am pretty much clueless as to what combination of upgrades will have the most impact on performance or if its even worth it without a faster processor in a Mac Pro or PC. I would also like to add one or more external displays and/or a sdi conversion box with a grading monitor but I'm not sure if this will drain my graphics resources to a point where the expense isn't justified.

I'm sure others would appreciate any advice you could offer, as well.

Return to posts index

Rob Davis
on Apr 4, 2015 at 11:29:02 pm

Update: After switching over to a project containing mainly h.264 native footage (instead of Prores) I began to notice the performance drop-off from not having Mercury Playback Engine enabled and decided to try the new drivers that were released April 2nd.

After about a day or so with the new drivers installed, I have noticed the occasional graphics hiccup and once had to restart Premiere because of a garbled image but overall, its much more stable than the previous CUDA driver.

Return to posts index

Sam Shapson
on Apr 22, 2015 at 3:48:02 am

Hey Rob, I'm curious how things are holding up a few weeks later on your end.

I'm realizing I need CUDA installed for Resolve to even open. I'm installing the latest CUDA... with sideways eyes a-squinting.

Return to posts index

Rob Davis
on Apr 22, 2015 at 2:01:44 pm

The newest release is more stable but far from stable. I get occasional scrambled graphics and less often, a full on kernel panic restart (probably happened twice since my last post).

I meant to go talk to the CUDA folks at NAB but didn't get a chance. Really wish they would work with Adobe to clear this up. I'm surprised there aren't more folks reporting these issues and have to imagine there is a large group of people having these issues.

If you make any headway, please share with us, here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]