ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

re-linking EXCAM files

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Colere-linking EXCAM files
by on Mar 31, 2015 at 12:21:56 pm

I edited an EXCAM project on PPro CC and imported the material in a non-standard way: I imported the .mp4 files directly, rather than go through Media Browser. It was tedious, but it all worked, and still works, fine on my original computer.

Since then, I have discovered the wonders of the Media Browser, which makes life much easier for editors of EXCAM material.

But now I have to transfer the project to another computer, and have discovered that while Media Browser will import the material, PPro will not recognize the resulting clips as having anything to do with the edited show.

When I try to use "Link Media," PPro will not "drill down" on its own to find the .mp4 files; I have to duplicate the original process of locating each .mp4 file manually.

Advice welcome!

Bob C

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: re-linking EXCAM files
by on Apr 3, 2015 at 5:35:19 am

Media browser is great for importing the clips initially. But moving between systems, the files may reside on a drive that shows with a different name in the system. On MAC, you are always shown your default folder first (not the folder where the files are, a default folder in your system somewhere, perhaps the most accessed folder or the most recent accessed one). I believe Windows starts with documents or the default as well. When you relink, the project doesn't assume they are in the same exact pathway in the system. It allows you to specify the pathway. When you used media browser before, you probably replaced the other files with a new linked set (they are seen as separate files, not the original ones you used), and now the sequence is looking for the original linked set from your project panel. In short, you broke your sequence. You can relink the media using relink on each clip and then pointing to that clip in the file system (you have to find them). Do not use media browser when moving between systems. Use relink media. Media browser will find NEW files for import into your project. Relink will use your system file manager to allow you to search for and find the files to relink to the entry in your project panel. When you used media browser before, you simply imported new entries, or you had it "replace Footage" or something like that. It's great for bringing in new files, not for re-attaching the pathways. I can't say it enough. The behavior is perfectly normal.
Windows sees drives by a letter and then a pathway.
Mac sees by /Volumes/drivename/Pathway or by a unix style /dev/mnt/sda/d0s1/pathway styled path.

Moving between them requires relinking media, and after effects comps etc. It in no way involves the media browser...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved