ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Can't reverse clip in Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexey Chernish
Can't reverse clip in Premiere Pro
on Mar 29, 2015 at 6:00:38 pm

I'm using Premire Pro CC 2014.2 on Windows 7. I have a sequence containing clips which really are other sequences made of still images (photos). I need to play some of these clips from end to start, so I'm pressing Speed/Duration on a clip and then check "Reverse speed". And after that those clips immediately becames unvisible, both in preview in program window in PP and in Media Encoder (after rendering). If I uncheck "Reverse speed" than they immediately becames visible and playable, but I really need them to be reversed. This thing drives me mad. I've tried to restart Premiere Pro and restart Windows, with no luck. Please help.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
Re: Can't reverse clip in Premiere Pro
on Mar 29, 2015 at 10:24:14 pm

sounds dumb...

nest first...

then reverse the main clip (not inside the nest)..

Return to posts index

Ht Davis
on Mar 29, 2015 at 11:14:31 pm

Interlaced?
If you use upper first in the original sequence, you need Lower first for your reverse. IF you reverse and there's no field data, you have no frames.
Check your interlace setting. Nest your other sequence by hand. It will ask if you want to change things to match, DONT. Reverse the clip afterward, and it will play to match.

I always start with Progressive's for this reason. IF I need to reverse a clip, I don't have to change the field order. I can output to an interlace later. If I get interlaced footage, I use frame blending and have it go progressive, but I use high quality settings.

If reversing fields doesn't work:
Dupe original Sequence, then set the duration of the dupe to reverse OUTSIDE OF A SEQUENCE. Create a new sequence with the opposite field order, then place your sequence in it.
Or... ...Set your field order to progressive, and do the same.
Or... ...Output the original to a full clip and then start a new sequence and reverse the clip in that sequence. Only ways I can see.

Return to posts index

Alexey Chernish
on Mar 30, 2015 at 7:13:49 am

What I actually did is copy-pasting the part of the sequence and trying to reversing it. And it fails show nothing, just the black screen.

Return to posts index

Alexey Chernish
on Mar 30, 2015 at 7:45:57 am

Thank you very much! Nest first worked for me!
But why should I nest first? In the documentation there is no such advise, they say just check Reverse checkbox.

Return to posts index

Ht Davis
on Mar 30, 2015 at 9:46:05 am

Just a guess here... ...Nesting turns the old sequence into a new clip.
If you take a clip from the project list, and put it into more than one sequence, it plays the same in all of them. You need to dupe that and place the dupe in a new sequence to be able to reverse the dupe. The same works with sequences. Nest output as input, and reverse it. Simple... ...I figured you'd already tried that.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Mar 30, 2015 at 1:48:06 pm

Yes…reverse checkbox should work.

But I have run into the bug occasionally…and that workaround works.

that's all I can tell you…

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Kiriakos Ntolias
on Jun 7, 2015 at 12:47:21 pm

Actually this also happened to me and seems that it a bug of premiere cc 14.2.
Nesting is not working me but while i was troubleshooting the issue i figured that when i right clicked on the clip and selected the reverse tick box, instantly the time turned into 00:00:00:01 second, i managed to get over it by scrubbing the time back with my mouse until changed value speed is 100% and voila.. the clip was on the timeline and reversed speed.

Have a look for yourself if this helps..

Return to posts index

Hristo Mihalev
on Mar 27, 2017 at 11:19:45 pm

CC 2017, same bug. I think the problem was in sequence settings mismatch. Be sure to create a sequence with exactly the same settings as the nested sequence (I dropped a clip into the new sequence icon and copy/pasted the whole thing back to the new sequence and the reverse command did reverse it with no problems)
Hope I helped someone, cous' I've been looking for a solution for quite the time.
Cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]