ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Problem with PPro 5.5 crashing

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil OrmanProblem with PPro 5.5 crashing
by on Mar 27, 2015 at 6:59:52 am

I'm having a problem where my system at work keeps crashing, and I'd appreciate any feedback helping to diagnose the problem. Here's my situation. I started a new job where I have a PC running PPro 5.5. I'm trying to edit footage from a Canon 5D Mk3, and my system keeps crashing, and sometimes I can't even get PPro to open. The system here is a Dell Precision T3500 with an Intel Xeon CPU 2.8 GHz and 12 GB of RAM on a 64-bit OS. And I've been using an external hard-drive as my capture drive etc. I'm not super familiar with PPro though I have used it, and my inexperience there probably isn't helping either. I'm most familiar with FCP7, which seems very similar. In terms of importing/logging and transferring footage, with FCP7 I would just use the log and transfer function, and it usually handled my Mk 3 footage fine although sometimes there were a few issues. In PPro, I haven't been sure of the best method and have been playing with ways to get the footage in the timeline. My usual approach has been to use the Media Browser within PPro, in which I'll see the directory folders for the video. Then I'll drag over files from the DCIM folder, and I've been able to see the video. But it's played in a jerky fashion. And now the program just keeps crashing.

Thank you again for any feedback here!

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Problem with PPro 5.5 crashing
by on Mar 29, 2015 at 8:04:27 am

With older ppro, you're never going to do well with newer compressed formats, especially mts or the like. Do you have media encoder? (You should). Do you have Prelude? (Again, you should).

Using Prelude, you can perform the LOG AND TRANSPORT in older version CS.
in prelude, you INGEST:
You will have to navigate to the video folder and all the way down to the MTS files. You'll have to place each one in the timeline, and check to see how and where you actually need to cut the clips. Once that is done, you can export to another format.
I suggest an AVC format, as they are compatible and high quality. Make sure you have it send out to Adobe Media Encoder, and make sure you turn on Frame blending (these cams will use and EIS image stabilizer that messes with the frame rates mid-shoot and you need to fix any missing frames). Once you've exported each set of MTS clips to a larger file, you can create a proxy (smaller version of the AVC intra file for editing purposes; Start with AVC100 and then make an AVC50 with similar settings). Place the large file in premiere pro. Use it to create a sequence, then right click the clip in the project panel, and unlink it. Then right click and select relink, and choose your proxy. If you set the proxy resolution smaller than your larger file, you should right click and interpret the footage to match the settings of your sequence (this will blow up the resolution).
When you finish your editing, select the proxy clips, unlink them, and select the larger files, then export your edits to the same format (or it's proxy sized format at the same resolution).
Once the export is finished, you can compress the footage. Why the extra step? IF you do both, you may experience severe slow-downs due to multiple GFX operations being handled at once. This workflow outputs 2.5 hours of video to a full format in about 3 hours on my 2008 Macbook pro (running windows) with 4gb ram and 256mbgfx. I use Compressor to actually send the compression to another set of computers, which usually takes only about 1 hour (the frames are already rendered). IF I run it in AME it takes longer on my own system. Compressor allows me to do the more daunting operation on several machines at once. There is no real Farming operation in adobe for this yet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved