ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Issues with Multicam/Multi Editor Workflows

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David KalishPremiere Issues with Multicam/Multi Editor Workflows
by on Mar 25, 2015 at 4:39:43 pm

Looking to see if there are people working in Premiere projects with 6 cameras (or more) multi cam, with multiple editors over Xsan or other networked systems. If so are you encountering issues with crashes and slowdowns? We are cutting in Premiere 2014 8.1, using Pro Res HQ over fibre. We are wrestling with questions of CPUs (Mac Pro vs. iMac), Pro Res vs. other Codecs, Size of Projects, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Premiere Issues with Multicam/Multi Editor Workflows
by on Mar 25, 2015 at 4:46:53 pm

Processor speeds are not the issue here, it's drive speed and throughput.

Multi-camera ProRes HQ...that takes a LOT of throughput on your drives. Yes, Fiber can handle that...but MULTIPLE STATIONS wanting to pull multiple streams of ProRes HQ? That's a very heavy demand...too much for even fiber. Two people wanting 6 streams of HQ...that's 12 streams...three people is 18 streams...but you know math, I'm sure. You need a server and drive capable of that many streams of ProRes HQ...not many are.

Multiple edit stations cutting from a central server and drive is the reason many places cut in offline resolutions. Not only storage space savings, but data rate too. Where I work now has 12 Avid stations all connected to one ISIS. There's one show that we'll have 4 camera multiclips and all need to access them...that's 48 streams of video! Thus why we cut at DV resolution, or 14-1. The server cannot handle that many streams of full res, nor is there enough room.

Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Premiere Issues with Multicam/Multi Editor Workflows
by on Mar 25, 2015 at 4:57:21 pm

it would be useful for PPro to allow a local pre-render of multi-cam source...

maybe a features request…

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved