ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Strobing Projector Screen %^$&*^%%$

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack HoltStrobing Projector Screen %^$&*^%%$
by on Mar 25, 2015 at 12:42:35 am

Another interesting one.
Have a running projector screen in the back of my shot and a dedicated close up of the screen.
They're horizontally strobing like mad.
Playing with field/frame options and anti flicker does not work so far.
Anyone had experience getting rid of this annoying strobe pest?

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Strobing Projector Screen %^$&*^%%$
by on Mar 25, 2015 at 12:19:49 pm

Never heard of an effective method to eliminate refresh rate strobing in post. This is something that must be handled during shooting. Once it's recorded, it's recorded.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IVRe: Strobing Projector Screen %^$&*^%%$
by on Mar 25, 2015 at 2:52:59 pm

If the material on the screen are stills, like PowerPoint slides, just try to grab a good freeze of each one and use that.

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Strobing Projector Screen %^$&*^%%$
by on Mar 30, 2015 at 4:26:36 am

I like that idea.

However, if you have flicker, the refresh rate of the projector is the problem. What is your frame rate? If it is 60p fps, then they should be showing cleanly. If you use 60i, you are getting 30p style video and can get flicker. Try this:
play to a spot with a nice screen, clip at this frame. Move ahead about 15 seconds, and clip again. Nest this in a 30p sequence, and interpret the footage (this is a copy paste, not a nest). If this works, do it for all the video where the projection is. Unfortunately, once it's recorded you have to do some crazy stuff to get it to clean up.

Test by outputting a file with a progressive frame rate and frame blending turned on. Then test by adjusting the frame rate up or down while keeping progressive frames and blending them. One of these will work better, and allow you to further adjust it to make it bearable.

Return to posts index

Jack HoltRe: Strobing Projector Screen %^$&*^%%$
by on Mar 31, 2015 at 3:49:16 am

Oh Geeez I love this community!
Thankyou gentlemen for your input.
I've been cutting and dealing with vision for so many years but in an 'on air' situation using EVS. Now moving more to post I realise there is so much to learn. It's a good feeling of like being green again.
I'll try and do a few test outputs progressive and blended, messing with frame rate.
Thanks again from Australia!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 3, 2015 at 10:27:52 am

1 last alternative.

Dupe the sequence, Zoom to the projector, output that. Drop it in ae, and see where the dropouts are. Have it drop those frames by cutting the frame rate in half. You'll have to really clip this well, and it might take a few tries to get it to drop the right ones. Render that out to a video. Now export that to the right frame rate, and turn on frame blending in AME, blow it up to the right size (actual pixels it filled in the original video if you can find out, the math should look like (n x (blowup percent\100) = original whole video size, find n). Now you can place it in its proper position in an new track, and move it into place over the other screen.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 4, 2015 at 1:51:51 am

To clarify:
In after effects you'll have to create a comp of exactly half the frames of your video of the projector. Then you take the blow up, place it into the new comp. It will ask how to deal with it. Try dropping first. If you can then take that comp and place into another at the correct frame rate and blend it. If the dropping doesn't work, try using a blend of the two sets of frames and do the same with a nested comp. Preview that. Then you can render or place in premiere on a new track and place it over the projector screen wherer it matches up. Now it will play on top of your flicker, and will, effectively, overwrite it while playing back. If you do an export with sound, you should even be able to sync it up by that, or by the timecode of your marks in your other sequence. That way you're perfectly in sync.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved