ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

5.1 Surround wth Stereo Mix Export "to hot"

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Press5.1 Surround wth Stereo Mix Export "to hot"
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 8:36:33 pm

Hi all,
Just getting into APP on a regular basis, I've used FCP 7 forever exporting out every type of file. I've done my homework on exporting 5.1 Surround with a Stereo Mix in PP, everything is perfect BUT the levels are equally a few DB hotter then the original. FCP is my go to for this but the clock is ticking on FCP. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Matt Press
Machine Room Operator / Digital Assets Engineer

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: 5.1 Surround wth Stereo Mix Export "to hot"
by on Mar 24, 2015 at 7:32:09 am

5.1 surround with a Stereo mix?
Are you taking stereo and mixing a 5.1 or the reverse?

Nevermind it makes little difference. Just try and remember, name one as the SOURCE and one as the OUTPUT or DESTINATION.

The output from premiere and the output from FCP are different when played back. Premiere, when playing back previews, uses a CAF file that has been processed, and when playing a mix, it is all Additive. When you want to play out to a 5.1 surround from a stereo mix, Pass the channels to a submix for each major field, and playback only those fields to see how loud they are before you mix them together. If they are still too hot, you may be getting an OVERLAY gain, where two fields are actually laying over each other in such a way that they produce a GAIN (volume gain) effect. If this effect is only an audible one (you hear it, but aren't measuring it in any way), then the hardware you're using for output is the culprit. If it is a measured-on-screen difference, as in the actual decibel count on screen, remember that the software will use it's own audio read engine. The two are different software, and will probably play the files back differently (with audio, this usually pertains to volume, as some will read some amplitude information as an average, and others will play back the amplitude on the fly; Premiere uses audio preview files or .caf files and uses the contained amplitudes, not adjusted headers; FCP uses adjusted headers).
The way you deal with the problem is to use a file type that contains a solid header (WAV is a raw audio format, MOV or other digital format will have amplitude info that forces equivalency). If it still has a problem, check for any volume effect key-marks in the clip.

Return to posts index

Matthew PressRe: 5.1 Surround wth Stereo Mix Export "to hot"
by on Mar 24, 2015 at 2:44:16 pm

Thanks for the detailed response.
I get Prores Masters to export out for distribution.
I get 5.1 surround elements and stereo mixes that I marry to picture and export out to different specs. Very simple in FCP not so simple in PP.
I have researched the set up in PP and I'm including a pic with the correct output setup. Please check if I'm doing something wrong.
The audio DB boost that I get is also seen in FCP when I check the file.
This should just be a simple setup and export. But I always get a 2 or 3 DB boost.

Matt Press
Machine Room Operator / Digital Assets Engineer

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: 5.1 Surround wth Stereo Mix Export "to hot"
by on Mar 26, 2015 at 9:13:22 pm

Also, FCP actually has an AUDIO CORRECT in preferences. It will automatically adjust audio when imported. just found it myself. Turned it off and got same levels in both apps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]