ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Crashing on DSLR footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan McKayPremiere Crashing on DSLR footage
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 8:23:35 pm

Imported basic DSLR footage into Adobe Premiere CC 2014 and the system immediately crashes. It says Adobe has encountered a serious problem, and crashes. I've tried complete reinstall and restarts multiple times. Running Yosemite and all updates. I'm clueless at the moment. My windows version of Adobe works fine with the same footage. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Premiere Crashing on DSLR footage
by on Mar 24, 2015 at 7:08:11 am

Where is the footage?

If the footage is on the camera, store it in the comp on a disk image. IF it's a folder copy, you've got a bad copy, if on an sd card in a reader, bad reader or error in SD card.

Make another copy of the stream folder. Try having AME (adobe media encoder) transcode the MTS files, or use premiere to line them up together and have them transcode. IF that fails, you've got an error in the video files on your card and your footage is blown.
IF it works, you should be able to use the intermediate files in Premiere and retain quality, while retaining speed in the workflow.
Editing right out of the camera with a DSLR isn't always the best idea. That footage is heavily compressed. Decompress the footage to a full file and a proxy version. Start with the full version in premiere to build the sequence, then relink to the proxy and interpret the proxy for the sequence size. A little prep work will save you hours of decompress-edit-recompress in your output step.

Return to posts index

Nathan McKayRe: Premiere Crashing on DSLR footage
by on Mar 24, 2015 at 5:43:40 pm

So, upon further review, I've found that Premiere crashes upon importing any footage at all. Immediate crash and shutdown of program. And, as noted, this has happened even after a full reinstall of the program. I'm guessing it's a problem with the operating system, so I'm going to try a full wipe of the hard drive and a reinstallation of Yosemite.

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Premiere Crashing on DSLR footage
by on Mar 25, 2015 at 5:05:49 pm

Hi Nathan,

Best practice for using card-based media in Premiere is to copy ENTIRE contents of card to a folder on computer hard drive. All folders should be copied, not just video bits. Then in Premiere, Import using "Media Browser" rather than "File > Import". This fixes lots of issues, from audio to spanned clip handling to performance.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Mar 30, 2015 at 4:15:30 am

That is a good practice in theory, but better practice is imaging a disk. Who wants to know why? Anyone?

MTS is a transport stream. Premiere doesn't understand transport streams (mostly because no standard file system does understand a transport stream as a standard file), only video files. A transport stream has video data, but is also a description of the buffering and splitting. Moving the files can create problems with older camera videos that define the locations on disk rather than by file, so imaging the disk does away with that problem.
Second, because the file system sees an AVCHD file as both a file bundle and a folder, the import command doesn't work well.
This has been fixed with system updates on most systems, but Macs still see only a bundle. You have to navigate it yourself, then drop the files onto premiere. Output is severely dropped quality from these files though.
Prelude will let you put these onto a timeline and export them to an intermediary for use in premiere, or just export the timeline into premiere. This will Log the data for use, but it's still slow. Using intermediary files preserves output quality and shortens compression time when going to h264 or the like.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2015 at 9:45:41 pm

Did you try running any maintenance on the drive first? Sometimes a simple permissions or journalling issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved