ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

anyone know what this clip means?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Procopioanyone know what this clip means?
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 4:27:26 pm

This is a clip from Project Manager cutdown project. it has a -100% speed change in it, but other speed changes both + and - are fine. The footage is 23.98, but so is the other footage with speed changes...

What does the fill mean? is it similar to the audio diagonal hash that means not enough media?

I can match to the clip, and play it back, but can't edit it back into the sequence. I CAN put it into a new sequence and it plays back fine, with the speed change...

Any ideas? I guess I could export a QT from the new good sequence but for an entire 40min show, we might have MANY clips that show up like this.

TIA
JP
BV

Joe Procopio
Broadway Video, NYC
AVID/Premiere/FCP editor/engineer

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: anyone know what this clip means?
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 4:34:45 pm

hashed lines indicate that somehow…

the item, as edited on the timeline

are attempting to use frames that don't exist in the bounds of the underlying media file.

if it has been relinked to a wrong media file or a new file of an incorrect duration…

the frames being called are outside the associated media extents…

can you match back to source viewer? is it playable?

reveal in project or finder…

something is not connecting to the correct something….

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Joe ProcopioRe: anyone know what this clip means?
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 4:44:07 pm

when i match back, it plays fine....and has the correct length

see my other comment about the original file

Joe Procopio
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

by on Mar 23, 2015 at 4:42:42 pm

further investigation reveals the framerate is 29.97, in a 29.97 project...when i make a new sequence with the clip, it makes it MXF OP1a, but the file is a QT....

interesting, when I open the original project, go to the clip, matchframe, it is fine...but when i reveal the clip in the project to look at the original clip, it is a completely different clip.....

Joe Procopio
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: anyone know what this clip means?
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 5:18:41 pm

soooo…

has this project been migrated or moved in some way…?

somehow it's "found" a match that's not correct…

We've met Joe, haven't we? I used to work for discreet…quite a while ago…

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

by on Mar 23, 2015 at 5:54:03 pm

it's possible...been at BV for a 9+years

yes, it has been moved...it was editing at a house, then copied to a drive (the entire project), that is what i'm working on...the drive...(we copy it to our san for the finishing, but i'm troubleshooting from their source)

Joe Procopio
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: anyone know what this clip means?
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 5:54:12 pm

Did you have to relink any footage? If you did you'll need to tick the keep interpret footage settings box in the relink window.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 23, 2015 at 6:00:12 pm

we received the footage already linked to the new drive...i can try to unlink and relink if that works...i'm working off a safetly copy of the project anyway!

Joe Procopio
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: anyone know what this clip means?
by on Mar 24, 2015 at 6:58:35 am

Did you render anything before? IF so, you could be looking at this situation:

You relink to an incorrect file or an overwritten clip (it's been given a new name in the filesystem and not from the project) while another file has taken the place of the original, or it has been renamed in the project manager and the link in the sequence is to another clip with the same name (could be a nested sequence or other clip that was accidentally named with the footage name.

In any case, if the sequence has been rendered before, you are seeing the previews from that render. Render the work area to make it match the correct clip. Also, you'll want to "interpret" the footage.

A -100 speed is usually a "Play it backwards" or "play it in reverse" command. If that's what's happening, you are not matching because the frame of the backwards play of the clip does not match the original frame from the forward playing clip (imagine it this way, the last frame is now frame 1, and frame 1 is now the last frame). Try this: set the timecode display to frames, find the first frame of the clip in the sequence, play to the section you want to see, keep it in the preview panel, get the frame number (as it would pertain to the clip only; do a little math), and now subtract that from the End of the Clip in the project panel, show that frame in the source monitor panel, compare preview panel and source panel. If they are the same, there is no problem. Somebody just wanted the clip to play backwards, and the clip frame count doesn't match your sequence, just interpret the footage, and remember, -speed is a reverse play.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]