ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Syncing external audio to already cut project

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddie AdamsSyncing external audio to already cut project
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 12:24:13 am

I have a fully edited project that uses AVCHD .MTS streams from a Sony FS100. I just discovered there was external audio recorded that needs to be synced to my footage. However, since the footage is already cut, this seems to be a very difficult thing to do at this point. Merging clips in premiere creates new clips which you cannot relink the original clips to in the Project bin. And for those unfamiliar with AVCHD MTS streams, its not as simple as overwriting a .MOV with a new, fully sync'd clip, since there are times when multiple .MTS files are combined to form the single clip in premiere.

Any suggestions on how to marry the external audio within Premiere to the already existing clips used in the sequences?

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Syncing external audio to already cut project
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 2:36:00 am

The good news is, this is doable. The bad news is, the software that does it costs $500.

ALWAYS sync your master audio to your video BEFORE you edit. Unless you like spending money on plugins like this. And, well, once you have this plugin you can use it to sync audio later on future projects.

Still...always advisable to sync your audio before you start editing.

Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Syncing external audio to already cut project
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 3:46:29 am

If you don't have $500 to spend, and you are using PPro CC or newer, you can try giving this a shot. Use the multicam function to autosync your outboard audio and your FS100 footage. You'll end up with a multicam clip that will just be a single angle plus the external audio. Name each multicam clip the name of the source FS100 file (there might be a setting so PPro will do this by default, I can't remember). Not fun, but doable.

My suggestion is to find the person that forgot to tell you about the external audio and tell them they own you $500 so you can buy the software Shane linked to.

Return to posts index

Ryan FriasRe: Syncing external audio to already cut project
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 4:47:55 am

Does the external audio contain share the same timecode and/or sound roll/tape metadata values as your .mts streams? If so, one can export an EDL or AAF from Premiere and a post sound guy (like myself!) can use Pro Tools to sync up the external audio (assuming the external audio files contain the same timecode and/or sound roll/tape metadata as the clips in your timeline).

Return to posts index

Geoffrey WeglarzRe: Syncing external audio to already cut project
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 12:15:40 pm

I have found that Plural Eyes can handle most situations; even one like this.

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Syncing external audio to already cut project
by on Apr 6, 2015 at 3:40:59 am

Open audio in audition, save as .MOV sound only or similar for your system. You'll see why in a minute.

Send that saved file to AME and select to export video as well as audio to the same file format, and set all audio the same but give video a small blank (set the video size to your main sequence size first, then link the size and drop the resolution as much as possible for quick rendering). This will give you a blank video with your audio.

In premiere, open the blank and your edited video (hopefully you've already output this to a clip). If it's in a multicam already, and syncronized... ...gasp!... can syncronize your blank video in the multicam sequence with any other clip (plural eyes on cs6 and below)!
Or if you have a clip already, you can sync the two with the audio sync function (plural eyes on CS6).

Do you know how to multicam your audio?
alt\option right click audio track in the nested sequence, select multicam enable. Dupe audio trak to make as many traks as there are sources("cameras"; corresponds to video trak number your audio trak is linked to in your syncronized sequence), and set each track to a different "Camera". You can now have the audio you want by selecting it. Pick a clipping in the video, go to the multicam monitor and select the audio by trak (this corresponds to the trak numbers of your nested sequence, not the original sync sequence). If you want a single audio track for all, turn on all tracks in your sync sequence, then in the nest, do the audio multicam, and select the audio "camera" of your blank video track (the camera corresponds to the video trak number linked to the audio you want).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved