ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Problem with PP CC and AJA IO XT while doing voice-over

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fredric TirhedenProblem with PP CC and AJA IO XT while doing voice-over
by on Mar 21, 2015 at 9:21:36 pm

I’m having big problems doing voice-overs when using AJA IO XT in PP CC.

I would like to do voice-overs using one of the SDI inputs of the IO XT. I have changed these settings
Audio Hardware to IO XT
Playback: Both Video and Audio to IO XT (shouldn’t matter because it is for the playback)

When I change the voice-over record setting on the timeline to "AJA IO XT - input 1” I don’t get any audio at all. If I change to internal mic I get audio.
Most of the time PP hangs (wheel of death) when changing the setting there or in the preferences. Take at least 5 min to set the setting.

I have also the older AJA IO Express and don’t get any problems at all when trying that device.

Have tried the latest software from AJA
AJA Software Installer v12.1 Mac

Have uninstalled that software and installed the older
AJA IO XT Hardware Driver v10.6 Mac
and
AJA Plug-Ins for Adobe Creative Cloud -Mac v10.6
and no difference at all.

Have also tried AJA Control Room and can capture the sdi signal without problem

Using Macbook Pro (mid 2012) and Yosemite 10.10.2 and PP CC 8.1

Return to posts index

Dennis RadekeRe: Problem with PP CC and AJA IO XT while doing voice-over
by on Mar 22, 2015 at 10:45:06 am

Hi Frederic,

Sounds like you need to set up the audio correctly in the Audio System Preferences of your Mac. The way the Mac OS is, it makes it a bit harder to configure audio in Premiere Pro. This is something we hope to address in the future. In the meantime, you can check out this for audio set up with Premiere Pro and AJA hardware

Return to posts index

Fredric TirhedenRe: Problem with PP CC and AJA IO XT while doing voice-over
by on Mar 22, 2015 at 12:48:42 pm

Thanks for the tip but it didn't help me at all.

But now even my AJA IO Express won't even work as expected.

I have been installing and uninstalling AJA IO software many times now to find out where the problem is.
But can't find the problem.

Have tried "Capture" in PP and that works perfectly with great audio. It seems it is only the Voice-Over that is the problem.

A few times I can record audio using the Voice-Over but then it is stuttering and distorted and lots of echoing. But most of the times I don't get any audio at all except for a strange digital sound at -30-40 dB.

I still get the spinning wheel of death many times when trying to change a setting.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2015 at 5:55:46 pm

UPDATE:

Seem to have located the problem and a work around.

The problem seem to be the Audio and the Video Playback setting to AJA IO when doing the V/O.

If I set Video and Audio Playback to Adobe DV and then set the Voice-Over Record setting to AJA IO then it works as it should be.

If I set the Video and Audio Playback to IO Express when using the IO Express then I can record the Voice-Over but it will be stuttery. If I instead use the IO XT then it will sound even worse with echoing.

So as I said before the work around is to set the Video and Audio Playback to something else than the AJA IO but that is not a good option because I need the playback to work the same time I record the V/O.

Anyone who can try this and see if they have the problem?

Return to posts index

Peter GarawayRe: Problem with PP CC and AJA IO XT while doing voice-over
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 9:22:46 pm

Hi Fredrick,

A few questions for you

1. What mic do you have? Is it input only or does it have input/output?

2. Would you be able to provide screen shots of your Sound system settings, AJA control panel and Premiere Pro Audio Hardware and Playback preferences?

In the meantime the best workflow I would suggest is creating a keyboard shortcut to enable/disable Transmit. When your recording a Voice Over have Transmit disabled and then re-enable during playback.

Hope that helps for now.

Best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Problem with PP CC and AJA IO XT while doing voice-over
by on Mar 30, 2015 at 4:04:01 am

You are missing the point of the "Playback" driver completely. The playback driver is the adobe system playback engine (i.e., for working in adobe). Essentially, you are using an input box for your input. It is not a hardware encoding device for rendering. Playback is the rendering engine. You set your inputs for your input, and set playback for your rendering engine. Playback doesn't mean "play it back from this device", it means "render it here". Your box isn't a rendering engine. It's an input controller. Don't get ahead of yourself.

If you want to have a voice over from that box, you'll have to DIFFERENTIATE the inputs and create an audio only input with the port from the box. You can do this in the mac settings. If this is live broadcast, Premiere may not be the best way to go for it, but we'll get to a workaround; if this is not, you can split your inputs among several tracks or several programs and play them all out. Are you sure your voice over audio equipment is compatible with the box? Audio and video out are usually handled on different machines in this instance, though, the video is passed out to several monitors, including the voice-over stars, who are listening to the audio in headphones. It sounds as if you don't have a complete setup yet. If you don't have the equipment, you may need to do a multi-aggregate device setup in the mac settings, and use that to do your voice over. Essentially, you create a single audio in from the port on your box where voice over is, then do the same for all inputs (splitting them). Create an aggregate device with multiple channels, and combine your voice over with one of the splits; do it again for each split input, combining each single input with your voice over to make a 2 input aggregate; take those and aggregate them. Now, use that aggregate device as your audio input in adobe. This will tie your voiceover to every single input, so no matter where you cut, your voice will come through. Playback may be choppy if your system isn't fast enough. This will only work if the switch box supports inputting from multiple sources at once. IF not, You are SOL.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 30, 2015 at 11:34:31 am

Hi!

Finally it works.

This is the solution that AJA came up with.

For Mac Voice-over using SDI input of the IoXT, go to Premiere Pro Preferences (Premiere Pro menu>Preferences) and select:

- Audio Hardware and choose System Default Input/Output from the Adobe Desktop Audio menu

- Playback and choose Adobe Desktop Audio from the Audio Device menu. Video AJA IoXT

Also, in Mac OS System Preferences, go to Sound and select the AJA IoXT device (Core Audio) for both Input and Output.

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Problem with PP CC and AJA IO XT while doing voice-over
by on Apr 3, 2015 at 10:41:28 am

Sounds about right.

Composite devices have to go through the system pathway, especially when multiplicatively accessed by software (by that I mean with several separate but simultaneous inputs). Got that from a mac guru I met in a shop, passed that idea by him first.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]