ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro Crashes during Exporting / Best export settings

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oskar MelanderPremiere Pro Crashes during Exporting / Best export settings
by on Mar 19, 2015 at 3:52:40 pm

I'm kind of new to filming and working with Premiere Pro as I'm usually working as a still photographer. I have learned the program pretty well through tutorials and threads on amazing Creative Cow. Seriously guys, I can not be thankful enough for things that some of you have taught me. Anyway...

Recently I've been doing some film projects that has been pretty long and heavy on my computer and I understand that my hardware isn't really good enough for the stuff I'm working on, but right now, buying a new computer isn't an option. My specs are:

Macbook Pro Early 2011
2.2 Quadcore processor
AMD Radeon HD 6750m
16 GB Ram
256 GB SSD

I'm working with Adobe Premiere PRO CC.

My first question is:

What are the best render settings for the master?

As I said, I've been doing a lot of reading and have learned premiere pro through tutorials and forums. Right now, my workflow is:

1. Create the project as I want it with adjustment layers, closed captions, grading etc.
2. Exporting a master with as a Quicktime movie with the Apple Prores LT codec.
3. Exporting the master into the final format (depending on what it will be used for)

Regarding the question; what settings are also good regarding render and export speed?

My second question (or problem) is:

When exporting a clip (this time a 1.5 hours clip with three different cameras, high res sound and an adjustment layer as well as direct grading effects on the clips), my Premiere Pro crashes when exporting and AME fails to export. In the fail report it says "Unknown Error".

Is the problem just simply that my computer is too old and tired for doing stuff like this or is there actually something I can do, to be able to work with projects like this?

I would be extremely grateful for all the answers I can get!!

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IVRe: Premiere Pro Crashes during Exporting / Best export settings
by on Mar 19, 2015 at 8:27:03 pm

Second Problem
Try this;
Go to Preferences, Media category, under Media Cache Database select Clean.

This database is on the same drive as the applications, you cannot change it, it does fill up with a lot of Premiere and Media Encoder use.

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors

Return to posts index

Oskar MelanderRe: Premiere Pro Crashes during Exporting / Best export settings
by on Mar 30, 2015 at 7:39:53 pm

Hi again!

I did this before starting to encode as I have read not cleaning the cache often will slow down the process.

Thanks for your reply!

Return to posts index

Oki PienandoroRe: Premiere Pro Crashes during Exporting / Best export settings
by on Mar 22, 2015 at 7:11:46 pm

In all cases, did you happen to mix format in the timeline?
In one of my project, i encounter this problem, fixed it by converting all footage into the same format (the footage came from different camera)

Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Premiere Pro Crashes during Exporting / Best export settings
by on Mar 30, 2015 at 3:15:01 am

When you are exporting, you'll want to do a 2 step export. First clean your media cache. Render any previews. When you set the export, do not compress it (no h264, youtube, etc; don't do that). Trying to export and compress in a single step is extremely heavy on your system. First, output an LT file. Then have that compress to your output format.
I can dump 4hrs of video with a lot of edits in about 6 hours of rendering to LT and another hour-2 hours in Compressor for 264 (I like progressive AVCHD streams for quality). I'm on a 2008 macbook pro with 2.16ghz intel core2 duo, 4gb ram, 256mb geforce, and 2hdds at 5400rpm with 1tb on each. It has a certain sentimental value... it does what I need. Compressor sends batches to other machines for farming out compression. It works great. If you simply render out your edits into a full movie, you're not compressing, you're simply adjusting existing data.

Also, I've had this issue before. Repair permissions on drives. Repair drive structures. I have an EXFAT drive that occasionally has trouble, so I use a command line fix to repair it and viola, back to functional. Also, make sure you dump your system caches for all users once in a while, and empty the trash. You want to free up as much memory as possible. Restart the system. Should be fine now.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 30, 2015 at 7:46:42 pm

Hi and thanks for your answer regarding export settings.

That's exactly what I do!

First I export the master in Apple Prores LT and then when I have my master file, I just compress with AME to the output I want.

What I did to come around the crashing issue this time though, was to cut up the project in three parts. Make a new section for each part, export the master in Apple Prores LT and then put the masters together. Finally I exported the masters put together and that made it work.

My question regarding this though is;

Do I lose a lot of quality working around the problem like this? As I'm only cutting up the project in three different parts and export them uncompressed before putting together and exporting uncompressed again, it feels like I shouldn't lose any quality at all?

Again, thanks for all your answers and if you have any more things to point out, please just tell!!!

Return to posts index

by on Mar 30, 2015 at 7:42:40 pm

Well, I'm sure the format is the same, but the clips were filmed by three different cameras;

2x Canon EOS 5d MkII
1x Canon EOS 700d

Would I have to convert the clips in any way, and how would I do that?

Thanks for your reply!!!

Return to posts index

Oki PienandoroRe: Premiere Pro Crashes during Exporting / Best export settings
by on Mar 30, 2015 at 9:49:20 pm
Last Edited By Oki Pienandoro on Mar 30, 2015 at 10:02:53 pm

Hmm,..probably different error from what i'm experiencing in the past (different container, from different camera manufacturer, forgot about the types though, happen 1+ year ago.)

Other than your Radeon; spec wise, actually you shouldn't have a problem exporting your project at all.
CMIIW, but radeon isn't natively supported in Adobe.
I really didn;t have a clue with Radeon, i never use it.
So, have you tried to render with "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" ?

Did you use the most recent version of AME and PPro CC ?
I remember reading a update release notes regarding AME (?) throwing an unknown error (?)
But darn it, i can't find the link (but probably some old release notes / CS 6 etc).
Many things can cause the export to crash in CC 2014 prior recent updates.
Make sure you do that first,and restart.
When it crash, did you notice a pattern ? Did the failed exported video is always failed in certain time mark ? A corrupted source video might be the culprit if this was the case.

If you want to convert your clip, just batch encode them in AME with the same setting for all camera with the same filename.
Batch rename the current video with suffix "Old" (or anything you prefer).
This way, when you open your project, premiere will "missing" that old file. All you have to do is re-link the new encoded video. This is why it's important the new encoded video has the same name like in the original file.
And make absolutely sure you have a exact setting (frame rate, size, etc) in your newly transcoded file like the original.

But make that workflow as your last option. Since it could be the error is nothing to do with your source video.

As a test, did you use any 3rd party plugin ?
Test a barebone render (no fx,grading, titling whatsoever, either in video or audio), no transition other than built in Premiere.
You can remove all fx easily by blocking all the clip and select "remove effect" (Clip|Remove Effects)
See if you can success rendering your project out.

I'm sure you already know this, but i'm saying this for the sake of clarity since you say you fairly new to Premiere: Do that with duplicate project, there's no need to breaking down your original project file.

Regarding your question about the render setting (your workaround, rendering with splitted project, joined them afterwards).
I don't think rendering to ProRes LT is a good path, the quality will suffer IMO, especially you want to do multipass.
At the very least, you want to export as ProRes HQ, or even better to a lossless codec.
With lossless codec, you will not lose quality whatsoever, as if you were rendering directly without splitting.
Bear in mind lossless will produce a bigger file than the compressed ProRes.
There's no need to export to uncompressed if a lossless codec is available.
(much smaller size compare to uncompressed).

1. Clean your media database/cache in the preferences.
2. Try rendering in "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only"
3. Do a barebone render test, see if some third party plugin causing it. Or in some case, even built in Premiere fx can be the culprit (prior to updates). You might discovered a new bug.
4. If all fails, split the project, because you said it works , but render as lossless instead.
5. Convert all source video into single setting, bear in mind, you actually lowering your source video quality, unless you re-encoded them with either lossless or uncompressed.

Notes: Option 4 is much better than option 5.
Option 5 is last option if all fails, and in all my work i actually only do that one single time due rare crash with weird mix container from different types camera.

Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Premiere Pro Crashes during Exporting / Best export settings
by on Apr 3, 2015 at 11:09:31 am

Why did you split into three sections?
IF you wanted a single master, I would do this with camera files:

Use Prelude, which reads most, if not all file trees from the camera cards, place the clips there on the timeline how you want them ordered, export to premiere, then export that to a master file in prores. This does not drop quality but instead increases it. It gets choppy because you use the full format file rather than compressed camera file. When exporting, select QUEUE option at the bottom when you have chosen your settings to go to AME program, then, right click the little lines that show your settings and save location, and select duplicate, then click the settings words on the duplicate (if it says apple prores, click that), it will open a new settings box. Now set it to Apple Prores 422 proxy. Set everything else the same. This file plays back easier, and has great quality for edits.

Open premiere, import the big Prores LT file, and create your sequence from that. Then right click the clip in the project panel and Make offline. Right click again and Relink. Choose the proxy file. Make any edits and render effects as you wish. For output though, right click your clip again, make off-line, right click and relink, choose the big LT file. Now export the file to an output prores LT file. Compress that down to h264 for youtube etc with excellent quality.

USing pro-res, you don't lose quality, you regain it. Cameras compress (lossy when editing) the info. Edit in fuller format, already blown up with non-lossy pass of algorithms, then compress down again from that, to lose the least amount in compression. Any modern compression is LOSSY for quality, but when done right, the algorithms work great. Start with a fuller file format (non-lossy), and the algorithm will lose less quality but squeeze the file smaller. Visually 7% quality loss is the start of degradation. This method will get you to that after several runs of blowing up then compressing again or just 2 trying to edit a compressed and output compressed.

Return to posts index

Eirini KasapidouRe: Premiere Pro Crashes during Exporting / Best export settings
by on Sep 26, 2016 at 4:19:35 pm

You cannot believe how much i appreciate you right now .
I've been trying for 2 days tp export my video for my dissertation
And then i read your comment in changing the setting to Mercury Playback Engine Software Only. And it worked , it stopped crashing !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved