ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Is there any hope for premiere on new mac pro?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ross dalyIs there any hope for premiere on new mac pro?
by on Mar 19, 2015 at 1:31:13 am

I just went through a hell of a weekend and it was entirely due to poor performance on a 1 week old mac pro.

initial setup:
2014 mac pro
64 G ram
12 core
dual D700
t bolt apple cinema displays
thunderbolt magma pcie enclosure, with a kona 3g card and a sas card
sas raid array
some fiber to thunderbolt adapter for our fileserver

This machine is 1 week old, apps were migrated from old tower but not user accounts. This weekend I ingested 3 hours of multicam footage (6 total) and cut it into a 3 minute piece. 2 angles, one was prores 422 and one was from a 5d III. After a few hours it got to the point that premiere 2014.2 would crash every 10-15 minutes. I tried everything I could, flattening multiclips, half res preview, turning the kona monitoring off. Nothing helped. I removed the kona card / pcie box and put the assets on a thunderbolt raid. No luck.

I moved the thunderbolt raid to an entirely different (3 days old) machine and it crashed within 3 minutes. That machine also had a magma thunderbolt enclosure with a blackmagic card in it, so I thought it might be the enclosure.

I set up a brand new machine with cc 2014.2 and entourage on it, NOTHING ELSE. It failed as quickly as the others. Our it dept submitted 3 days of crash logs from 3 different machines to adobe and they asked us some really simple questions in exchange without giving any ideas. I really don't understand how anyone could use this software on this hardware and not experience this glitch. Are they not even trying?

Steps to reproduce this bug are incredibly simple
1-Buy new 12 core macpro
2-use premiere on it.
3-crash

This is really disheartening to experience. if Adobe doesn't care about the fastest mac hardware that this could be run on, what do they care about?

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Is there any hope for premiere on new mac pro?
by on Mar 19, 2015 at 7:56:57 am

Did any of the machines have clean installs of Adobe or were they all migrated? Did you try turning the MPE to Software Only? Many PPro and Resolve users have reported issues with Mavericks and Yosemite on the new Mac Pros and it seems to be related to Apple's drivers for the GPUs. I say that because some people have used Bootcamp to boot in to Windows on the same machines and run Resolve or PPro (w/GPU acceleration on) w/o a hitch.

Return to posts index

ross dalyRe: Is there any hope for premiere on new mac pro?
by on Mar 19, 2015 at 12:09:58 pm

The third machine had a factory fresh mavericks install, and the only additions were cc 2014 and outlook.

Disabling gpu is on my list of things to try, but at this point I'm so far down the list that the journey has been really disheartening. And regarding apple's gpu drivers - it's weird that I don't get these glitches in anything else, AE, fcp7, nuke studio.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Is there any hope for premiere on new mac pro?
by on Mar 19, 2015 at 12:34:46 pm

[ross daly] "And regarding apple's gpu drivers - it's weird that I don't get these glitches in anything else, AE, fcp7, nuke studio."

Ae and FCP7 are not GPU-driven, so you wouldn't see any impact there. We're running Premiere on PCs, so I can't really speak to that, but the GPU-driven Mavericks/Yosemite glitches in Resolve and performance issues with Smoke are real.

I know this doesn't help you with your problem now, but if you're getting repeatable crashes, file bug reports and use the crash reporter if it's coming up.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: Is there any hope for premiere on new mac pro?
by on Mar 19, 2015 at 4:26:54 pm
Last Edited By Chris Borjis on Mar 19, 2015 at 4:29:39 pm

just for the heck of it, you might try premiere 2014.1 instead of 2014.2

Now granted I am on 2009 mac towers but 2014.2 was very unstable for
us. multi-cam editing was impossible to do and we experienced other system crashes while editing
simple TV commercial length sequences. Getting the spinning beach ball often, for no reason.

I don't know why, as others seem to be fine with it, but I can
say rolling back to 2014.1 fixed the issues I had.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 19, 2015 at 6:07:43 pm
Last Edited By ross daly on Mar 19, 2015 at 6:08:57 pm

"if you're getting repeatable crashes"
I think this is part of why I'm frustrated. They are very frequent crashes, but caused by such common things (like playing footage, scrolling, and pasting clips) that there's almost no way for me to know for certain what caused any one crash. I've submitted 30+ bugs/crashes for other apps in the last 2 months, but this behavior is almost independent of user input. (and consequently hard to submit a proper reproducible bug report)

I'm going to turn off opencl acceleration and see how it goes. I'll also try the documents folder permissions fix that I have seen mentioned often.

Thank you all for you help and thoughts. I'm not at all frustrated with this community, just the performance. I appreciate everyones contributions.

Return to posts index

Kevin MonahanRe: Is there any hope for premiere on new mac pro?
by on Mar 19, 2015 at 6:36:19 pm

Hi Ross,
What is the string for the crashed thread? I can see if there's any existing bugs in our database.

Usually, this problem can be fixed by adjusting permissions of all Adobe folders as outlined in my blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2014/09/10/premiere-pro-cc-freezing-on-...

Other users have reverted to Premiere Pro CC.0 (8.0) with no issues. You do have to export a XML from the current version to continue a project in an earlier version, however.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

John PaleRe: Is there any hope for premiere on new mac pro?
by on Mar 19, 2015 at 9:28:59 pm

Are you, by any chance running the Creative Cloud Desktop app (in the menu bar) at startup.

I have been having all sorts of freezes with that running while on an ethernet network. If I quit or run with wifi, I am fine. (I am on a Westmere Mac Pro, not a new Mac Pro).

It doesn't need to be running at all to work with Adobe apps. You just need to let it phone home once a month.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 20, 2015 at 12:47:40 pm

[John Pale] "Are you, by any chance running the Creative Cloud Desktop app (in the menu bar) at startup."

Hi John, no I'm not running that. I've only been on ethernet as well though, so I can't speak to how well wifi changes stability. It seems like that app is used for licensing. I'm on a site license and/or own license server (I believe) so I don't think I need to have that running. Thanks for your thoughts, though. I'm surprised at how many people are fighting with this.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 20, 2015 at 10:39:46 pm

As a test I've fixed permissions per your blog, and created an applescript that

renders my 6 minute sequence
plays it back for 100 seconds
delete render files in to out
plays it back for 100 seconds
and then loops

I set it to run all weekend long at work, and I'll report back on monday.

As a side note - does everyone else have adobe qt server 32 become unresponsive on premiere boot? I've seen this on other posts, but it doesn't seem to have much relation to the actual app crashing.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 24, 2015 at 12:26:38 pm
Last Edited By ross daly on Mar 24, 2015 at 12:37:05 pm

Following up, it seems that my issue is with multiclip footage, (or possibly specifically) 1080@24 h.264 5D mk III footage in a multiclip sequence.

My applescript ran all weekend just fine, so I had to switch it up. I made a new applescript that would:

select clip under playhead
copy clip
cut under playhead
jump ahead random frames
paste clip
jump ahead random frames

loop

This ran flawlessly on one track of video (5D footage above) and on 3 tracks of video, but when I multiclipped it and ran the script on the multiclip sequence it started beachballing pretty quickly. If I have time I'll test this same feature on a prores multiclip, because some people seem to be having better luck with different codecs.

At least I have an idea of what to avoid now, but it's pretty sad that this is such a glaring bug in one of their important features.

Return to posts index

Alan OkeyRe: Is there any hope for premiere on new mac pro?
by on Mar 20, 2015 at 8:54:22 pm

Relevant link:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/12/30/apples-latest-mac-pro-continues-t...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]