ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

GoPro4 footage to ProRes. Which ProRes ? LT/HQ/4444 ?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tal MorGoPro4 footage to ProRes. Which ProRes ? LT/HQ/4444 ?
by on Mar 12, 2015 at 11:35:31 am

I have shot aerial drone footage with a GoPro Hero4 Black in 2.7k 60p.

Before editing in Premiere Pro CC, I understood that it is better to convert the footage to ProRes.

However, which ProRes should I convert to? 422 LT / 422 HQ / 4444 ?

I think that 422 HQ & 4444 might be an overkill (file sizes will be huge?)
However, I do plan on grading with MB Looks & Colorista.

Do you think I could get a better image if I convert to 4444 ?
Will 4444 allow me to make better grading ?

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: GoPro4 footage to ProRes. Which ProRes ? LT/HQ/4444 ?
by on Mar 12, 2015 at 11:58:45 am

Personally, we leave the GoPro footage native and edit with that. We output a ProRes file at the end of the edit. If you're just using Colorista and MB Looks internal to Premiere Pro really no reason to add more compression to an already compressed file.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: GoPro4 footage to ProRes. Which ProRes ? LT/HQ/4444 ?
by on Mar 12, 2015 at 1:32:34 pm

Good advice from Walter, however the GoPro native files do not always play smoothly on some systems as a lot of CPU is needed to decode the clips on the fly.

Are you on PC or Mac? PC users can't encode to ProRes anyway. But if you feel the need to convert, I would recommend simply using the GoPro Studio software which will batch-convert to their own Cineform codec, your choice or .avi or .mov formats.

Also, there is a checkbox to Remove Fisheye and I've found it easier to just pre-process in Studio and not have to deal with the correction in Premiere. The Cineform files are larger than the originals of course, but less compression equals better playback performance on many systems.

But like Walter said, if you can edit the native clips, why not try that first? Convert only if you encounter issues with that workflow.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

chris kingRe: GoPro4 footage to ProRes. Which ProRes ? LT/HQ/4444 ?
by on Mar 25, 2015 at 12:23:59 am

It probably depends on your later use. As for original GoPro Hero4 2.7k footage, ProRres 422 HD is good if you pursue high video quality. For general GoPro video in FCP editing, ProRes 422 in 1080p video resolution is the common settings I use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved