ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro CC 2014 / Preferences / Playback / Video Offset not working ? (BMD output)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Cohen
Premiere Pro CC 2014 / Preferences / Playback / Video Offset not working ? (BMD output)
on Mar 10, 2015 at 10:44:05 pm

We are having a really hard time getting video / audio sync in our client monitor. It seems like the video offset in preferences -> playback -> Blackmagic Video offset is what we need to modify to get everything in sync. However, maxing it out to 500ms does not seem to have any effect at all. We can modify the audio offset, but it pushes everything more out of sync.

By manually unlinking the audio in the sequence, and slipping the audio 5 frames later makes the audio and video appear in sync in the client monitor. But the editor can't working with everything in his timeline 5 frames out of sync.

Is there a way to do the same offset through the Blackmagic pane of system preferences?

Here is our setup:

5k iMac
OSX 10.10.1
Sonnet Echo Express III-D
Blackmagic Studio Decklink 4K
Desktop Video 10.3.5
HD-SDI output
AJA Hi5-3D converts to HDMI
Sony XBR client monitor
Analog Audio out of Blackmagic pigtail

We also tried going directly from the Blackmagic card's HDMI output directly to the monitor (cutting out the HD-SDI to HDMI conversion), but it did not fix it.

Return to posts index

James Cohen
Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 / Preferences / Playback / Video Offset not working ? (BMD output)
on Mar 11, 2015 at 4:04:45 pm

We have another suite that is identical except that it has a Kona 3G instead of a Blackmagic card.

In that suite the preferences -> playback -> Kona Video offset actually effects the playback.

So my guess is that something is gummed up in the interface between Premiere and the Blackmagic card.

I'm not sure whether Adobe or Blackmagic should address the bug.

Return to posts index

Josh Cramer
Re: Premiere Pro CC 2014 / Preferences / Playback / Video Offset not working ? (BMD output)
on Mar 13, 2015 at 3:19:09 pm

Same exact problem here. Any luck at all in getting this to work? We are having the same issue on multiple BM cards/devices and multiple computers (both old and new Mac Pros).

Return to posts index

James Cohen
on Mar 13, 2015 at 5:22:28 pm

I talked to Blackmagic support, and they thought our signal flow was introducing some latencies.

They looked up our Sony XBR manual and found a "game" mode that is a low latency mode that bypasses a bunch of the algorithms the consumer monitor does. It went in through the options and turned off any other options like "Reality Creation" or "Smooth Gradation" or the "CineMotion" thing that makes everything look like a soap opera.

In our case, the HD-SDI output, through the HDMI converter carries video and audio. So we can play audio out of the TV speakers on the client monitor and the sync is spot on.

The problem is that the editor is used to hearing the zero latency analog audio at their desktop through Genelecs. If the analog editor speakers are up, and the client monitor TV speakers are up, there is a echo (that represents the latency between the two signals.)

So the Premiere GUI and the editors speakers are still fairly out of sync from the client monitor.

The Preferences / Playback / Video Offset seems like it would help, but doesn't seem to be working.

Return to posts index

James Cohen
on Mar 13, 2015 at 11:00:09 pm

We swapped our Sony XBR monitor with a Panasonic Plasma (that we have been using for years).

The Plasma has a direct HD-SDI input.

The sync looks good using the older professional monitor. So it must have been the latency introduced by the AJA Hi5-3D HDMI converter and the consumer monitor doing all its upscaling algorithms or whatever it does.

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Apr 18, 2018 at 7:26:52 pm

Several years late to the party, but I've been having the same issue for years now and only lately figured this out. Bare with me, but here was our set up. Blackmagic Decklink Studio 2.

1. Program Monitor and audio output via BMD sent to Mackie mixer Ch. 1 & 2 were in sync.
2. FSI broadcast monitor via SDI from BMD card and FSI audio loop back via 1/8 inch jack to Mackie Ch. 3, were in sync.

But when 1 & 2 viewed at the same time, side by side, you could tell they were out of sync. Which wwas distracting and a pain constantly saying "don't look at the program monitor & Premiere and just watch the FSI" during an edit session. They're always worried things were out of sync, when they were not. I would just mute my 1. BMD audio out from Premiere Pro on my mackie mixer, and use the 2. loop back audio from the FSI monitor, which was in sync.

So, being that the FSI was always a few frames rate and you can't offset the BMD in Premiere with a negative number as a positive # would only delay more. So I finally tried 'checking' the Adobe DV box and offset by 150 ms (a guess) and BOOM. Both Premiere and the FSI are pretty damn close to sync'd. Now I don't need to mute and unmute channels on the mixer. I can always use the BMD output for audio and all picture looks good. Its still not perfect, but close enough no one has said anything!

Maybe its just me, but I never would have thought to offset Premiere. All along I was thinking it was a BMD issue.

iMac 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7
16 GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB
External RAID 5 in T-Bolt Chasis using eSata
BMD Decklink Studio 2, FSI BM210, KRK Rokit 5s, Mackie 802

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]