ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Under the Premiere hood

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Gowan
Under the Premiere hood
on Mar 10, 2015 at 3:31:02 pm

I'm making the transition from Final Cut to Premiere...good thing I have 3 years-worth of previous migrators to follow and read up on! ;)

First topic - setting up caches/previews and optimizing performance. Every "expert" tutorial that I've searched through boasts about Premiere's unique ability (compared to FCP) to work with native file formats. I hear ya...sometimes not needing to transcode is a useful time-saver. But will Premiere really perform at optimal speed using these native formats? Or are you still transcoding to ProRes/DNxHR as a best-practice?
I've been having significant lag in playback (particularly when attempting to play in reverse directly from forward playback) and in scrubbing. Would it be better if I were using a post-friendly codec?
Also wondering if my cache settings/locations are playing a part in my lag. How do you typically setup your cache database and cache files? And preview files? My preference would be to edit off of a USB 3 drive (footage and project files), with caches and previews either on that drive or wherever they need to be for best performance...is that a realistic preference?

System specs: MacPro late 2013, 3.5Ghz 6-core, 32GB Ram, dual FirePro D700, yosemite 10.10.2.
Premiere settings: Source media, Cache database, cache media, and preview files all on external USB 3, 26 GB ram reserved for CC apps.

Second topic - copy paste. Is there really any useful reason to have clips paste from whatever track they are in to track one by default? I cannot see one, and the number of times that I find myself toggling track targets is getting pretty frustrating.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Under the Premiere hood
on Mar 10, 2015 at 3:48:20 pm

[Neil Gowan] " But will Premiere really perform at optimal speed using these native formats? Or are you still transcoding to ProRes/DNxHR as a best-practice?"

Yes it performs at optimal speed going all native. We export to ProRes or DNxHD at the end of the editing process. We never transcode unless absolutely necessary, usually do to a corrupted file or something like that. I was 11 years on FCP and this was the one area that took me a while to warm up to. Now I can't stand transcoding.

[Neil Gowan] "Also wondering if my cache settings/locations are playing a part in my lag. How do you typically setup your cache database and cache files? And preview files? My preference would be to edit off of a USB 3 drive (footage and project files), with caches and previews either on that drive or wherever they need to be for best performance...is that a realistic preference?"

Here's a tutorial I did on my website for setting up an Adobe Premiere Pro project where I cover all of this. You need to register on the site but it's free.

http://walterbiscardi.com/portfolio-item/starting-a-new-project-in-adobe-pr...

[Neil Gowan] "Second topic - copy paste. Is there really any useful reason to have clips paste from whatever track they are in to track one by default? I cannot see one, and the number of times that I find myself toggling track targets is getting pretty frustrating."

You set this up in your track settings. Do a little research on how Copy / Paste works.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Mar 10, 2015 at 3:58:50 pm

Thanks Walter. I've signed up and am looking forward to using your site as a resource...very helpful.

I can't get access to that particular vimeo video. It gives me the "Private Video" message in the player on your site...any ideas? I tried logging out and back in...

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Mar 10, 2015 at 4:53:15 pm

I tried logging in also. couldn't get in.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 10, 2015 at 7:31:49 pm

[Neil Gowan] "I can't get access to that particular vimeo video. It gives me the "Private Video" message in the player on your site...any ideas? I tried logging out and back in..."

You have to click on the button "Watch Now" instead of the Video Thumbnail. It's been broken for a while like that, we have not been able to get the video thumbnails to work correctly for a while. sorry.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Mar 10, 2015 at 7:37:27 pm

Still getting Vimeo message, "Private Video. You don't have permission to watch."

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 10, 2015 at 7:49:53 pm

You will get a message on my site that says "Private Video, You are Logged In and have permission to watch" I just tried it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Mar 10, 2015 at 8:08:22 pm

Sorry to keep bugging about this, but I'd really like to watch this thing!

I tried using another browser (originally Chrome, tried Safari and Firefox). Was prompted to login to Vimeo:

Logged in with my Vimeo credentials, then got this message:

Thanks for the help Walter...like I said, looking forward to your resources. Maybe I'm having trouble being logged into your site? That's why I tried other browsers, but they are all behaving the same, even after I login.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 10, 2015 at 8:12:53 pm

[Neil Gowan] "Sorry to keep bugging about this, but I'd really like to watch this thing!

I tried using another browser (originally Chrome, tried Safari and Firefox). Was prompted to login to Vimeo:"

You don't log in to Vimeo, you are not being prompted to log into Vimeo. You log into WalterBiscardi.com

If you are getting that message on my site, you are not logged into my site.

Watching the videos requires a proper username / password to WalterBiscardi.com, not Vimeo.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Mar 10, 2015 at 8:34:09 pm

I created a username and password for your site, have logged in (I think) :

Then I go to your tutorial page and see this:

If I'm currently logged into Vimeo in the browser I'm using, I get this message:

Are you sure your embedded video isn't dependent on your Vimeo login info? It would make sense that you are getting permission to view it if you're logged into your Vimeo account in that browser...

Either that's the problem, or if it should work as you describe, I'm not able to correctly login to your site. I've tried creating 2 different accounts now, getting same results.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Mar 11, 2015 at 4:05:57 pm

I'm having the same issue, Walter. I signed up for your site, logged in. Click on the products page and can play several of your videos. When I click on Starting a New Project and click on Watch Now, I too get the Private Video image. Something seems wrong.
Thanks for your generosity,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Mar 10, 2015 at 4:20:29 pm

[walter biscardi] "You set this up in your track settings. Do a little research on how Copy / Paste works."

Is "track settings" an official term? What are you referring to?

Here's how I understand it to work (and I can't find any info otherwise): If you select a clip, hit "copy," then hit "paste," the clip will be pasted in the lowest selected target track. If none are selected, the clip is pasted in the same track as the copied clip. Are you saying there's a setting where I can change this behavior? I've yet to find that.

One scenario where this behavior comes up short IMO is: I have all tracks un-targeted (deselected) so that when I copy/paste, clips land on same track. Then I use in/out points to copy another clip (or cluster of clips stacked on each other), but the only way to copy them will mean targeting those tracks...more key strokes. Then, to copy them where I want them, I have to unselect tracks again...more keystrokes.

If there is a way to change this, please let me know...like I said, I have yet to find it.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 10, 2015 at 7:35:42 pm

[Neil Gowan] "[walter biscardi] "You set this up in your track settings. Do a little research on how Copy / Paste works."

Is "track settings" an official term? What are you referring to?"

The track targeting. The lowest selected track that is targeted is where the video / audio will go when pasted. Lowest referring to the numbers 1, 2, 3 etc...

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Mar 10, 2015 at 11:53:02 pm
Last Edited By andy lewis on Mar 11, 2015 at 12:25:09 am

"Here's how I understand it to work (and I can't find any info otherwise): If you select a clip, hit "copy," then hit "paste," the clip will be pasted in the lowest selected target track. If none are selected, the clip is pasted in the same track as the copied clip."

If anyone has a solution to this I'd like to hear it. Adobe has gone through a huge list of frustrations typically felt by ex-FCP editors. In my opinion, this is one that remains. In FCP you could put all the squirrel footage on track 1 and all the hovercraft shots on track 2 and that's your track organisation finished, if you want it to be. Everything stays on the same track unless you decide otherwise. This is especially good if you edit mostly with the keyboard.

In Premiere you have to turn tracks on and off pretty much every time you paste, to no benefit that I can see.

I think what would fix it is if having no tracks selected was "clips paste into the same track they were copied from mode". Right now it is "clips paste into the same track they were copied from but you can't do anything with them mode".

Return to posts index

Bob Schweizer
on Mar 11, 2015 at 1:59:45 pm

Walter,

There have been a flip of a switch somewhere because I can not open the setup video either. I am positive that I stayed within Biscardi.com to view it.

Bob

Bob Schweizer
Media Coordinator
AboutFace Media Inc.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 11, 2015 at 4:20:29 pm

Same here Walter. Somethings up with permission settings.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 11, 2015 at 5:08:23 pm

If you've been trying to access the Starting a New Adobe Premiere Pro Project on WalterBiscardi.com it should be fixed now. We just re-set the entire page.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Dave Morrison
on Mar 11, 2015 at 5:41:19 pm

Sorry Walt. Tried it with 3 different browsers and no go.

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
on Mar 11, 2015 at 11:17:01 pm

I just tried as well. No go :(

EDITOR
Features : Television : Commercial
http://www.BryanRobertsEditor.com

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Mar 13, 2015 at 2:28:29 am

Well Walter, you've got several eager viewers for your Premiere Setup video. I'm sure it's a challenge to find time to set the permissions to work properly, but when you get a chance to fix it, please do let us know.
Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Tom Adams
on Mar 17, 2015 at 7:22:30 pm

ditto...

Regards,

Tom Adams - Director/Owner
Reelife Documentary Productions
"cool digital video stuff...not boring or dumb"
http://www.reelifeproductions.com
Williamsburg, MA, USA

http://www.FolktographybyTom.com
http://Folktography.zenfolio.com

MacPro
Premiere ProCC 2014
4TB Firewire Drives
Panasonic AGAC90, Canon D60 DSLR

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 17, 2015 at 10:19:23 pm

To all who have tried to access "Starting a New Project with Adobe Premiere Pro" I apologize for all the inconvenience. We finally tracked it down to the fact that I had cancelled my Vimeo Pro account and reverted back to the free account. That threw all the website permissions for a tizzy.

I'm restoring all my videos back to Wistia starting with that one and the "Multi-Editor Basics" in Adobe Premiere Pro. Both are back online and ready for viewing as I've tested the page with two new accounts on my website. Again, my apologies.

http://walterbiscardi.com/portfolio-item/adobe-premiere-pro-multieditor-bas...

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Mar 18, 2015 at 12:43:16 pm

Yay! Thanks again Walter.

Return to posts index

Bob Schweizer
on Mar 18, 2015 at 2:37:17 pm

Walter,

Thanks for fixing the problem. What do you do with the "Media Cache Files and Database" that premiere so aggressively likes to put on your system drive? Premiere can quickly fill up a system drive with Media Cache files.

Digital Rebellion has a free downloadable program called "Post Haste". It will automatically setup your folder structure in the same manner that you do and it will go a couple steps further. Post Haste will name your Premiere and other program files, using your predefined naming conventions, with the project name as well. It works extremely well in keeping us organized.

Bob

Bob Schweizer
Media Coordinator
AboutFace Media Inc.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 18, 2015 at 4:17:26 pm

We instruct the system to put all the necessary files alongside the original media files. So they end up on our server.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]