ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Adobe PP Newbie, old MacPro or new Macbook Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael HarringtonAdobe PP Newbie, old MacPro or new Macbook Pro
by on Mar 9, 2015 at 2:19:02 pm

I’m working with limited budget and trying to figure if upgrading my ol’ MacPro or purchasing new Laptop is best for running Adobe PP. Unfortunately I can’t afford to do both.

I’m new to Adobe PP making the move from FCP7. Most of my work is long-form working with 100 – 150hr footage each project, 3 projects over lapping each other, editing from 3-7 cameras and 6-10 GoPros. The footage is edited into programs for DVD, client web site, YouTube and iTunes. Delivery specs for YouTube and iTunes are set to high standards, 1920x1080 ProRes HQ, etc.

As you can see by my computer specs below my ol’ MacPro is a mid 09 model and my Laptop also lacks processor speed, USB 3, good graphics card, etc.

I’m in the process of learning Adobe PP and have cut a few test projects from the 150-hours footage in project with a few problems; slow project open and a few crashes.

I may need to consider what upgrades I should make to MacPro, SSD, Ram, Navida Graphics Card or is it best to purchase new Laptop with docking station HDMI adapter for my ol’ 30” display, ESata breakout for my GSPEEDes, etc.?

Who else is using Adobe PP on early 09 MacPro and are you having any problems or recommend upgrades? Who’s using Macbook Pro to handles long-form projects?

Any and all suggestions or links to related info is welcomed.

Thank you,

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, Adobe PP CC 2014, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Adobe PP Newbie, old MacPro or new Macbook Pro
by on Mar 9, 2015 at 2:43:36 pm

Here's one on the side of upgrading the old Mac Pro:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved