ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Changing the aperture during a shot

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karen Avizur
Changing the aperture during a shot
on Mar 7, 2015 at 11:33:52 pm

The adjustment of aperture while filming has become a regular occurrence in the weddings I've been editing, and it's become infuriating, mostly because I don't know how to fix it (and the fact that I shouldn't have to, obviously). It's just a flick left or right, sometimes as a bridesmaid is walking down the aisle, etc, and I'm not good enough at color correction yet to keyframe it back to normal. Anyone encountered something like this and found a reasonably easily doable fix for this? I'm on Premiere CS6 and using internal color correction tools, but if it would be easier to use another program, I'd be open to it.

Return to posts index

Mark Landman
Re: Changing the aperture during a shot
on Mar 8, 2015 at 8:39:19 pm

set the camera iris manually instead of using auto iris.

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

Karen Avizur
on Mar 8, 2015 at 11:22:40 pm

They're not using auto-iris. It's on manual. It's just that they futz with it ever once in a while. And I'm not asking how to fix it while they're filming; I'm asking if there's a way to fix it on post.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 9, 2015 at 1:41:14 am

There is no reasonably easy way to fix this. Gotta keyframe and fix with the color corrector, and it won't be perfect. You can only make it less distracting.

Best solution is to tell them NOT to futz with the iris while recording.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Karen Avizur
on Mar 10, 2015 at 2:12:18 am

Blergh, oh well. Thanks!

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Mar 10, 2015 at 3:00:22 pm

If you're going to keyframe changes, I'd suggest doing it by looking at scopes (YC waveform) rather than the image.
Are they static shots? I'd assume not if the operator was changing settings. If they are static though, you could crop the image to a continous area like a wall and keyframe to keep that line on the scopes in the same place.

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Mar 10, 2015 at 3:07:14 pm
Last Edited By andy lewis on Mar 10, 2015 at 3:08:27 pm

One final thing. As well as asking camera operators to try not to knock the aperture during shots - ask them to get a couple of minutes of cutaways for every scene - the flowers, close ups of faces, guests in silhouette against a window. Then you can cut to those whenever the shot goes wrong. Apologies if you're well aware of the above and it's just too late.

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Mar 10, 2015 at 3:17:00 pm

Honestly the last suggestion (I quite like shot fixing). Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease - you've kind of fixed it so the brightness shifts are less extreme but they now look more unnatural and distracting. In this case, duplicate the layer with the corrected version on top and lower the opacity until the changes become less obvious.

Return to posts index

Karen Avizur
on Mar 13, 2015 at 3:27:56 am

All good ideas, thanks! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]