ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Working in two locations

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shannon BedfordWorking in two locations
by on Mar 6, 2015 at 2:19:17 am

I have a new part time job and need to advise my employer asap as to the best edit setup. Ideally I would like to be able to work on edit projects at home and in the office.

At home I have Premiere Pro CC on imac. Most of my editing will be done at home. My employer has agreed to lease this edit suite so I can work from home. In the office he currently has CS6 on PC for me.

So a few questions:
How do you go about editing in two locations? Should I keep media in a portable drive and take it with me? How useful is Cloud storage in this situation? Am I likely to run into problems with offline media etc if I copy the media from one location to the other?

Will going between PC and Mac pose a problem or should I advise him to purchase a Mac for me to use in the office? (He would prefer not to since I will only be in the office one day a week.)

Will I need to upgrade his software to CC for this to work?

(Just a note about my depth of knowledge. I set up the suite at home 18 months ago and switched from Final Cut to Premiere. I’ve been busy having a baby so the suite has not had a lot of use and I am pretty rusty on the workflow, media storage organisation and best setups.)

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Working in two locations
by on Mar 6, 2015 at 2:31:20 am

[Shannon Bedford] "How do you go about editing in two locations? Should I keep media in a portable drive and take it with me?"

That would be ideal. Barring that, clone the drive so that the name and file structure matches exactly. Media Management and tracking isn't PPro's strong suit. Remember, if you add any media, you'll have to add it to the cloned drive too.

[Shannon Bedford] " How useful is Cloud storage in this situation?"

Very helpful, if you are willing to shell out the cost of an enterprise class system. Cloud based editing isn't cheap...it's a large facility tool at this time.

[Shannon Bedford] "Am I likely to run into problems with offline media etc if I copy the media from one location to the other?"

Yes...which is why if you add media to one location, it must be copied to the exact same location on the other drive. Exact. YOu can relink if it isn't, but then if you go back to the first system after working on the second, the connection will be lost.

[Shannon Bedford] "Will going between PC and Mac pose a problem or should I advise him to purchase a Mac for me to use in the office?"

Shouldn't be a problem.

[Shannon Bedford] "Will I need to upgrade his software to CC for this to work?"

Yes. In order to use the same project back and forth, you need to be on exactly the same version.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shannon BedfordRe: Working in two locations
by on Mar 6, 2015 at 4:32:05 am

Thanks for responding so promptly despite it being well past bedtime on your side of the world. You are awesome as always.

I'll check the specs on his PC and advise the boss to purchase an external drive.
Any tips on which would be best given that it needs to be portable? I don't expect we'll be producing many videos - maybe one or two videos a month at 1 minute duration.

Not sure if his PC has Thunderbolt. Is USB3 going to slow things down much?

cheers.

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Working in two locations
by on Mar 6, 2015 at 6:41:27 am

My side of the world? I'm in Los Angeles...it was just shy of 8PM.

USB 3 is good...and works on the new Macs and PCs.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

by on Mar 6, 2015 at 8:00:25 am

Well that's not so bad but certainly you should be asleep by now. Typical editor - always working.

Any tips for me on best portable drives to use? As I said, not a lot of use maybe maybe one or two videos a month at 1 minute duration.

Also, should I format as ExFAT? Sounds like a lot of people run into problems with it.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Working in two locations
by on Mar 6, 2015 at 3:01:39 pm

Shannon…

a larger question…

but if your employer was to consider the current version for Ppro…via the creative cloud...

you'd have access to licenses at work and home….

and you'd have access to cloud storage as part of that deal (although you should look at the capacity)…

which I'd guess would sync something like a drop box….so you could keep things in sync at home and work that way….

some others here might be able to add more details to this workflow….but it might be something to examine…

hth…

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

by on Mar 7, 2015 at 2:31:05 am

Is that how it works Alex? I didn't think it would be possible to have the software on the cloud and access it from multiple locations. Otherwise everybody would be doing it and sharing their licence with all their mates.
I'm pretty sure we need to pay two memberships for two locations. I hope I'm wrong, that would be great.

It's 20 Gig of storage which isn't much really. Working in a drop box style would be ideal but I figured the cost of storage and speed/cost of download/upload would make it impossible.
Here's Shane's comment:
[Shannon Bedford] " How useful is Cloud storage in this situation?"
(Shane) Very helpful, if you are willing to shell out the cost of an enterprise class system. Cloud based editing isn't cheap...it's a large facility tool at this time.

So, if that's the case it's not worth it for a company that edits the occasional video and a job that only takes me to the office one day a week. But if there is a way, I'd love to hear it!

Return to posts index

by on Mar 7, 2015 at 1:21:10 pm

Hi....

the creative "Cloud" refers to the method software distribution (say as opposed to boxes of software discs and manuals). The software is still installed on your local machine. Every CC gets essentially 2 locations per license. The idea was one for the office, one for the laptop. However, even if it was only one...once installed in both places...log out before you leave the office....log in when you get home....

Agreed, the capacity is likely not be enough. Something lke dropbox might work though...

and again....you are not editing "from the cloud" dropbox and similar, can be used to keep to local sites in sync.

if you add a file at one location, it will also get mirrored to the other location....

so assuming you have a drop box style account that has capacity for project assets....once material is mirrored at both locations....
(which can take time)

now we are talking about updates ...as additional files are added...they will also get mirrored. So depending how much is added on a daily basis...it might sync up during drive time...dunno....I have no idea about any of those details....just presenting a workflow idea.

hth...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

by on Mar 7, 2015 at 2:56:07 pm

Ah I see. Wasn't sure how the two locations thing worked. Think I might get the boss to shell out for the CC membership rather than give up my spare - might need it for my own laptop one day!

Dropbox is only $11 for 1TB now which is great, but the upload speeds are going to be prohibitive. I'm running a test now on a 500Meg upload and it looks as if it's going to take hours.

Carrying a portable drive with me too and from work won't be a problem anyway. I'm the only person who'll be working on it.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 7, 2015 at 3:09:29 pm

mirror that drive often....as taking a drive in transit increases the possibility of failure!

Good luck!!

Alex

Return to posts index

Declan SmithRe: Working in two locations
by on Mar 12, 2015 at 1:03:45 am

With any backup system you should have 3 copies. For this scenario I would have the media at work on drive (let's call it A), at home another drive (B), then have a transit drive (C).
When at work, I would work on drive A, then mirror it to drive C before I leave. At home I would mirror C to B and then work on Drive B. Then, before returning to work, mirror B to C. On arrival at work, mirror C to A. At each stage this gives a way forward and back. At the point of moving from one location to another, you end up with three copies of your project.

This may seem a little overkill at first, but maintains integrity of your media and ensures that you always have backups. If the transit drive dies, replace it and re-mirror it to your last updated copy. External storage is cheap and faster than the cloud.

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
After Effects CS6/ FCS3 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Reason / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]