ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

CPU vs. GPU in a MacPro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben OwenCPU vs. GPU in a MacPro
by on Mar 6, 2015 at 2:10:44 am

I'm thinking of purchasing a MacPro and I'm wondering what the performance differences would be (in a Pr/Ae workflow) between one with the 3.0GHz 8-Core processor and Dual D500 graphics cards vs. one with the 3.5 6-Core and Dual D700. I'm only editing HD footage from my DSLRs, so no RAW or 4K.

I'm wondering if one would be better for editing and the other for rendering, or one is better for both. I appreciate any advice!

Return to posts index

Ben OwenRe: CPU vs. GPU in a MacPro
by on Mar 11, 2015 at 3:15:42 am

Is there a reason why my post has been ignored? I'm more than willing to change something or learn if this isn't the way or place to post that type of inquiry.

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: CPU vs. GPU in a MacPro
by on Mar 14, 2015 at 3:42:58 pm

It's not exactly a straightforward question to answer, but let me take a shot at it...

I haven't been able to figure out how these new MacPros actually utilize both GPUs to their potential with only 1 CPU as that kind of reverses the ratio that's been considered to be the most practical up until now...

That said, Premiere Pro will utilize the GPUs (OpenCL) during effects work, interpolation on decode, etc. After Effects will mostly utilize the OpenGL part of the GPUs, pretty much active in the pixel-draw process at the display.

If you're working primarily with DSLR (H264) footage...I have found that CPU clock speed trumps core count for speed of encode/decode with H264 formats myself...

Based on the bit of info you've noted, I guess I might lean toward the faster clocked CPU, but I haven't done any definitive testing on the MacPro GPUs and how they compare in Premiere Pro...most of the comparisons out there are simply utilizing benchmarking software, or games.

Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved