ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Converting H264 4.2.0. Mp4 CODEC Footage to APPLE ProRes 4.2.2. CODEC before Color Correcting and Grading.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Devinda Fernando
Converting H264 4.2.0. Mp4 CODEC Footage to APPLE ProRes 4.2.2. CODEC before Color Correcting and Grading.
on Mar 5, 2015 at 6:21:29 am

Ok Technical Question here.

Is there any benefit to converting H264 YCC420 footage to APPLE ProRes 422 in Premiere Pro then reimporting it to Color Correct and Color Grade it before the Final Export?

I shoot footage on a Canon 5DM3 in the 1920x1080 ALL-I Setting using either .mov or mp4 container.
I then usually just Edit it, then Export the footage to the same H264 1080x1920 HD format using Premiere's default setting Bit Rates of 32/40.
I was told that converting to ProRes enabled you to push the colors more in Editing? Is this true? Can anyone provide any insight as to how the conversion from one CODEC to the Other works, and if it has any benefit to performing the workflow this way?

Also, a side question, when converting to something of a lower bit Rate like 10/10 (for uploading to YouTube or Vimeo) is there any point since the footage gets re-encoded at a much lower bit rate?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Converting H264 4.2.0. Mp4 CODEC Footage to APPLE ProRes 4.2.2. CODEC before Color Correcting and Grading.
on Mar 5, 2015 at 8:04:42 am

Prores could run more smoothly depending on the software and computer eg. I wouldn't use h264 in Resolve. The footage will not get better because you won't get information that wasn't there in the first place. The footage might hold up better for generation loss.

Return to posts index

Devinda Fernando
Re: Converting H264 4.2.0. Mp4 CODEC Footage to APPLE ProRes 4.2.2. CODEC before Color Correcting and Grading.
on Mar 5, 2015 at 9:32:26 pm

I actually haven't noticed any visible difference using either workflow in Premiere. At this point it seems like a pointless extra step.

I did infact buy Davinci Resolve Lite, but have not gotten round to learning it yet,... I still occasionally use Apple Color since I am most familiar with that for those special occasions that require some sort of custom Color grade, but for the most part I just color correct in Premiere for most of my work since its just quicker.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]