ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Can't drag clips from a sequence to a bin

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob PierceCan't drag clips from a sequence to a bin
by on Mar 4, 2015 at 2:53:03 pm

What could possibly be going on here? Didn't a recent update allow dragging multiple clips from sequences to bins? Now for some reason I can't drag even a single clip from sequence to bin. Anyone else seeing this?

I'm running PP 8.1 on Yosemite.
Thanks,
Bob

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Can't drag clips from a sequence to a bin
by on Mar 4, 2015 at 5:35:57 pm

when you select the clip….is the audio also selected?

does the clip have audio that may not be present in the sequence?

I seem to recall from a recent similar thread that the default selection behavior has changed from linked to unlinked

and that unless all aspects of a clip are in the selection, it can't be dragged to a bin…

check your wrench icon in the timeline…. for a start…

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Bob PierceRe: Can't drag clips from a sequence to a bin
by on Mar 4, 2015 at 6:27:03 pm

As a matter of fact, these are clips in a timeline where I have deleted the audio. I'm using the timeline to organize and trim b roll shots. The audio is not being used. Could this be the source of my grief? I wish Adobe documentation explained what conditions are necessary to simply move a bunch of clips!
Bob

Return to posts index

by on Mar 4, 2015 at 7:53:28 pm

yep…probably the cause….

if you match match a clip like that to the source viewer…(f key via FCP setup)

since the audio is present in the SV…then you can drag from the SV to the bin….

not elegant…but it will get ya by…

hth,

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Mar 4, 2015 at 8:50:21 pm

Alex, thank you for your input.

Turns out I can't do that either - if I open clips from the sequence in the source viewer they can't be dragged to a bin. What the heck is going on here??
Bob

Return to posts index

by on Mar 4, 2015 at 10:03:30 pm

that's weird…..that one works for me….

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Mar 5, 2015 at 12:19:40 am

hmmm....thought about this on the drive home...

Are you double clicking the clip in the timeline?

this is "open in source viewer" not "match to source viewer"

match - loads original source (as present in the project panel)...

open - loads timeline instance into viewer....

so that won't work (again cuz audio won't be present)

lemme know....

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Mar 6, 2015 at 6:21:41 pm

Thanks again Alex. I haven't had a chance to try what you suggested. I'm afraid it won't really solve my problem.

It seems I'm alone in that I occasionally like to use a timeline to review and organize footage. Sometimes I find it faster to chop up long clips in a timeline (making selects) rather than clicking around a bin. Also It's nice to have the waveform visible for reviewing interviews. All fine and good until you want to drop these clips into a bin (multiple clips, that is). It's something FCP has always been able to do.

Bob

Return to posts index

by on Mar 7, 2015 at 1:22:08 pm

well....I agree....

but as long as you keep audio and video on the timeline when you are initially rough cutting....

this is doable....

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

by on Mar 7, 2015 at 2:07:00 pm

You're quite right - if I leave all the audio tracks intact I'm able to drag multiple clips back to a bin. I found that I can disable the audio tracks, or obviously simply mute the tracks and Premiere will allow moving them into a bin.

I only wish I knew this before I spent a weekend logging a project!

Thanks again for your help.
Bob

Return to posts index

Kim SchneiderRe: Can't drag clips from a sequence to a bin
by on Jun 21, 2015 at 6:08:26 pm

too late for your current project but so ya' know - you are not alone working in your timeline for organization ; and i also delete unnecessary audio as it is often MOS and cumbersome when moving clips to a timeline in that one must then target where the unnecessary audio must go ….anyway a work around if you don't have too many clips is to drag ONE AT AT A TIME (painful) to the bin using command key and create a sub clip ….

but if you have a huge amount of clips with no audio what is quicker than re-matching them individually to original source is too take any clip of audio that does not have a pic file attached to it ( WHIPPING POST - LIVE @FILLMORE EAST is 20 plus min - so i keep it around just for this purpose ) and lay it on the timeline & lock it to all your clips - UNFORTUNATELY that is also a one at a time process because you now need to put a cut in the audio track to match each pic edit & it is necessary to lock (COMMAND -L) each pic/audio together individually as well … all of this is possible from keyboard so you can actually fly thru it pretty quick - ARROW DOWN TO NXT CUT - COMMAND-K … D key (selects both audio & pic clips ) and then COMMAND-L locks them together - fly thru your timeline doing this and then you can drag them all to a bin … sound ridiculous ? it is but sometimes frustration takes over the rational mind …

another method i just thought of was to project manage a timeline of all the shots you want to move to a bin & i believe it will re-attach the audio - this is best way even tho PP project manager is a joke compared to FCP MEDIA MANAGER but at least you can grab a cup of tea , do some push-ups , make a phone call whatever , instead of clicking madly along the timeline

Return to posts index

Kim SchneiderRe: Can't drag clips from a sequence to a bin
by on Jun 21, 2015 at 6:44:34 pm

so that PROJECT MANAGER idea was inaccurate - it does not re-attach the audio - just tested it - that may have been FCP that used to do that …

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]