ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro CC Issues (Lag, Crashes and response time) Personal Experience.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sibel Zivy
Premiere Pro CC Issues (Lag, Crashes and response time) Personal Experience.
on Mar 4, 2015 at 12:06:50 am

Dear: Everyone!

[This is a slightly lengthy post so I used (*) asterisks for importance.]

I've been using Premiere Pro for the past 3 months and I can't seem to avoid issues like source Monitor Lag, sudden unresponsiveness and scrubbing late responses...

*My prime issue though is (*Source Monitor lag) and (*Audio Sync), those are the two recurring issues that usually always there, Sync I fix manually but with lag and responsiveness I have to wait it out and as soon as I scrub again ,LAG, and I have to wait it out!

Before I continue, here are my specs.
CPU: i7-4930k(6-cores/12-threads) overcloacked @ 4.15Ghz
GPU : GTX 760 2Gb @ 1072-Mhz (CUDA cores-1152)
RAM : 2x4gb(8gb) @1600 Mhz
HDD : 2Tb @ 7200 rpm SATA 6Gb/s
SDD : 128GB SATA 3 6Gb/s

My settings and so forth.

Video rendering is set to GPU accelerated.
Scratch files are set to HDD alongside footage.
Memory allocation is set to 5.9 Gb out of a total 8. rendering is optimized for performance.(That's all I ever fiddled with aside from custom presets).
I always keep playback quality at lowest 1/4.I use full inly to adjust effects during a pause.

Footage size and Project Clips
*I usually deal with 1080p/60 FPS H.264(H.264 is the only codic the drifts out of sync when I use it).
*Files range from min. 2.5 Gb to a max of 40Gb.
*But since I usually import everything it's usually around 180Gbs~250Gbs in the project tab.

My routine usage. After import I wait for the bottom right bar to conform everything, then I trim the footage from source into timeline and then that trimmed footage gets labeled into a subclip inside a bin. then I clear the timeline before I begin my desired composition. later on I start to compile and edit the clips; *I use custom overlays, transitions, blur and generate effects aside from the usual brightness and contrast adjusts.

That's literally everything I do, Given the system specs I shouldn't be bombarded with lag in every comp! Also please assist with H.264 audio drifting out of sync usually always in the middle of the clip,seldom at the end but it still happens way to often and I'm tired of manually fixing it , especially if it's a subclip, that drives me insane.

Apologies but I had to include everything for a thorough analysis, Thank you!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Premiere Pro CC Issues (Lag, Crashes and response time) Personal Experience.
on Mar 4, 2015 at 3:54:49 pm

Personally, I think 8 GB is a little light on RAM. Upgrading to at least 16 GB could make a difference.

If cutting H.264 is bogging you down -- and 1080p60 could get heavy -- you might consider a transcode workflow. You could try using Prelude or AME to transcode to an intraframe-compressed format like DNxHD/MXF or CineForm/AVI/MOV.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
Re: Premiere Pro CC Issues (Lag, Crashes and response time) Personal Experience.
on Mar 4, 2015 at 8:30:12 pm

Walter's right, the 8Gb of RAM is probably your problem. Adobe lists it as the 'minimum', but you really need at least 16 gigs for smooth performance.

A couple of other things that might be relevent:

You don't list a Blackmagic or Kona card on your system, but if you do have one, old drivers might adversly affect performance.

You don't list the exact version of Premiere you're using, but it was only when I updated to CC 2014 (and upgraded my RAM) that everything started working smoothly on my own system. Before that, I had all the same problems you describe.

Return to posts index

Sibel Zivy
on Mar 4, 2015 at 9:53:18 pm
Last Edited By Sibel Zivy on Mar 6, 2015 at 8:28:58 am

The premiere version is 7.2.2(33) it's from 2014 so it's the latest.
I mainly record gaming videos for myself and my team. The capture card I use is a portable Avermedia it captures footage in MP4 and Ts.
Software I use for desktop/game recording is Nvidia's ShadowPlay and Milliris' Action both can record in other formats but I prefer H.264 1080p-60FPS @ 50Mb/s.

I'll use 720p-60fps @ 25Mb/s for the time being.

But how can I fix the audio sync issues with H.264, it always happens even with small file sizes and constant frame rates ?

Thank You

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Mar 4, 2015 at 10:15:25 pm

Hi Sibel,

I agree with the others. Bumping up your RAM should serve you well.

[Sibel Zivy] "The premiere version is 7.2.2(33) it's from 2014 so it's the latest."

Actually, there have been 3 releases since 7.2.2. The latest available is 8.2. Please try downloading the latest version and upgrade your RAM and let us know how things go.

Best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Sibel Zivy
on Mar 6, 2015 at 8:13:27 am

I will, Thank you peter.

I'll report back as soon as I upgrade.

If any changes occur after the update I'll also report with feedback.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 4, 2015 at 10:20:52 pm

[Sibel Zivy] "The premiere version is 7.2.2(33) it's from 2014 so it's the latest."

You're actually a few releases behind. The current release is Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (v8.2).

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2014/12/premiere-pro-cc-2014-2-release.h...

[Sibel Zivy] "Software I use for desktop/game recording is Nvidia's ShadowPlay and Milliris' Action both can record in other formats but I prefer H.264 1080p-60FPS @ 50Mb/s."

What other formats? Maybe there's something else that will give you less trouble?

[Sibel Zivy] "But how can I fix the audio sync issues with H.264, it always happens even with small file sizes and constant frame rates?"

I know this is not very helpful, but it's not normal for Premiere to lose audio sync. Perhaps there is something non-standard about the encoding of those files -- another reason to consider an alternate format.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Sibel Zivy
on Mar 6, 2015 at 9:22:48 am

Thank you very much Mr. Walter.

Regarding Codecs aside from MP4, I can only record in AVI for PC and Mpeg-2 TS from the capture card.

I'm sort of adapting to the transcoding workflow you recommended but I'm using Handbrake, which has marginally reduced file sizes but doesn't allow to select or ingest multiple files, at least now with MPEG-2 I can edit hassle free. So thank you again !

BTW is there a way I can allow AME to take advantage of the GPU, It was my first option but it mainly encodes using only my CPU. So until I figure how I can modify that I'll stick with Handbrake hence I don't let my system encode while I'm away or asleep.

Once more thank you.

Return to posts index

Sibel Zivy
on Mar 15, 2015 at 10:31:57 pm

Hello Walter.

So I've upgraded to 16 GB Ram. But I barely utilized beyond 8.7 Gb with heavy chrome(8~12 tabs) browsing!

I've been using the transcoding workflow method you recommended works great,
But I don't want to burn my CPU/GPU life's span by "transcoding" all the raw footage before I edit and render it again, Hence I still face H.264(MP4) audio sync issues with variable frame rate files.It's such a drag I need to fix it, I Think I'll go crazy and post on every forum/blog I find; I found that many have similar issues yet most of the answers were questions about the specs and configuration, until now I couldn't manage to find an answer, which is spanking my atoms to death :S !

Also I'm fairly new to this but I cannot update beyond 7.2.2 with the creative cloud app,I have the option to TRY CC 2014.1, as humorous incentive by Adobe to buy the patched version of the software.

Hope to hear Soon -Sibel

Return to posts index

Sibel Zivy
on Mar 4, 2015 at 9:12:47 pm

I'll upgrade to 16.

But transcoding will take ages, especially with my file sizes! I would gladly wait through the lag, upgrading should mend that hopefully.

Regarding AUDIO gradually drifting out of sync on the source monitor, could there be any assumed settings for the source monitor ?
If not could it be due to a variable frame rate during recording ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]