ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Upgrading CPU on my Mac Pro tower 2010

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blake PorterUpgrading CPU on my Mac Pro tower 2010
by on Mar 3, 2015 at 10:12:23 pm

Can anyone recommend a company that can upgrade my CPU's? As in, I ship my Processor Tray to a vender... I know OWC can, but they can take 48hrs. I can't afford a 48 shutdown!

Current Mac Pro system: Mid 2010, 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon.
Looking at: Two x 3.33GHz 6-Core 'Westmere' (Intel X5680, 12-Cores, QPI: 6.4GT/s)

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Upgrading CPU on my Mac Pro tower 2010
by on Mar 3, 2015 at 11:48:47 pm

Buy a used 12-core Mac Pro, upgrading procs on an older Mac Pro is not a good investment.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Blake PorterRe: Upgrading CPU on my Mac Pro tower 2010
by on Mar 3, 2015 at 11:54:03 pm

David, Sorry if I'm not following, but I currently have a 12 core(?)
Current Mac Pro system: Mid 2010, 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 16GB Mem, ATI Radeon HD 5870.

Return to posts index

Al LeVineRe: Upgrading CPU on my Mac Pro tower 2010
by on Mar 4, 2015 at 1:32:11 am

There will be a SIGNIFICANT difference if you upgrade your RAM to 32 or 64GB, and upgrade your video card (GPU). Maybe even an SSD boot drive or faster media drives connected with Fibre or eSATA.

Your bottleneck with Premiere is not your CPU, it's the RAM and GPU.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 4, 2015 at 2:41:15 am

Thanks Al,
I'm not only looking for more CPU, but also:
GPU: K5000 (10bit)
Adding 4, 8GB mem. sticks, for total of 40GB Ram
SSD: 960GB Mercury Accelsior
3.0 USB

I want to drive a z27x Dream Color, plus two other 27” monitors

Current Mac Pro system: Mid 2010, 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 16GB Mem, ATI Radeon HD 5870.

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Upgrading CPU on my Mac Pro tower 2010
by on Mar 4, 2015 at 8:06:39 am

David's suggestion was to buy a refurbished new MP (the black tube) instead of upgrading your current machine. For what you've listed (CPUs, GPU, SSD, RAM, and USB 3) that's about $3500 (not counting tax and shipping) which is a lot to spend on a 5yr old machine. I agree with David that that amount of money would be better spent going towards a newer machine.

Also, for what's it's worth, in my experience USB 3 can be spotty on the older Mac Pros because they were never designed with it in mind and Apple hasn't exactly gone out of it's way to write good USB 3 drivers for the older machines. So machines are fine, while others have issues.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 4, 2015 at 4:11:35 pm

Regarding a new Mac Pro, is there any feel as to a sweet spot? I see a refurbished: 3.0GHz 8-Core, 32GB, 1TB Flash, Dual FirePro D700 6GB - $6,199.00
I use PP, After Effects, Photoshop, encoding, uploading.... (DSLR, XDcam, Gopro... soon 4K) I need to drive a z27 Dreamcolor and 2 other 27 monitors.

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Upgrading CPU on my Mac Pro tower 2010
by on Mar 4, 2015 at 11:40:50 pm

[Blake Porter] "Regarding a new Mac Pro, is there any feel as to a sweet spot? "

I haven't looked hard at the new MPs, but I've heard people say that the D500s offer the best bang for the buck in terms of GPU. For the CPU I probably wouldn't go any lower than the 6-core. One thing to keep in mind is that many apps are still more CPU dependent than GPU dependent (especially multi GPU) so the nMPs single CPU is a bit of a weak link. With that being said, more and more apps are levering GPU power so over time the single CPU will become less of an issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]