ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Quick question about a video corruption/glitch problem every 7 seconds in Premiere (video looks fine in media players)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barnaby KeeneQuick question about a video corruption/glitch problem every 7 seconds in Premiere (video looks fine in media players)
by on Mar 3, 2015 at 9:54:59 pm

Hi there CreativeCow, I'm having a bit of trouble with a video file in Premiere; I don't even need a full answer, just pointing in the right direction in terms of terminology.

The most annoying thing about this issue is that I don't know how to describe it! (otherwise I'd attempt searching before posting, as always) but anyway:

I have a 2 hour (22.2 GiB) piece of digital footage that renders fine in VLC and Windows Media Player however, in Premiere Pro, around every 7 seconds the video frames break down. Colour stays where it is while the moving parts of the frame continue to move... it's bizarre and almost impossible to explain so I did a quick screen capture and put it on GfyCat:

http://gfycat.com/GlisteningHeartfeltAstrangiacoral
(In case you're wondering, it's some super old game I make videocasts with friends for)

I'd love to know why this is happening but just knowing what it's called would help me enough to Google around a bit and figure it out for myself. I was thinking of just re-encoding the footage and replacing the file in the project but I may as well ask here first as that would take a while (and I have plenty more 22GiB+ footage files!)

In case it's necessary, here's a MediaInfo dump for the file:

Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
Format profile : OpenDML
File size : 22.2 GiB
Duration : 2h 4mn
Overall bit rate : 25.5 Mbps
Original source form/Distributed by : Video:x264vfw - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec Audio0:Realtek HD Audio 2nd output (Realtek High Definition Audio) Audio1:Headset Earphone (2- ASTRO MixAmp Pro ) Audio2:Microphone (2- C-Media USB Audio Device )
Writing application : DxtoryCore ver2.0.0.128

Video
ID : 0
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Codec ID : h264
Bit rate : 20.9 Mbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 60.000 fps
Original frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.378
Stream size : 18.2 GiB (82%)
Writing library : x264 core 144 r2525bm 40bb568
Encoding settings : cabac=0 / ref=1 / deblock=0:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=2 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=8 / lookahead_threads=8 / sliced_threads=1 / slices=8 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 / weightp=0 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=cqp / mbtree=0 / qp=20 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=0

Audio #1
ID : 1
Format : PCM
Format settings, Endianness : Little
Format settings, Sign : Signed
Codec ID : 1
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 1.34 GiB (6%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 100 ms (6.00 video frames)

Audio #2
ID : 2

Audio #3
ID : 3

Thanks again!

Computer Science student with an interest in video editing, motion graphics and various forms of digital art. (@SouthclawJK)

Return to posts index

Jason GuerraRe: Quick question about a video corruption/glitch problem every 7 seconds in Premiere (video looks fine in media players)
by on Mar 4, 2015 at 6:36:19 pm

I would call those video blocking artifacts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_artifact).

The fact that you only see the issue in Premiere and not in VLC or WMP means it could be a problem with Premiere and not with the file. In Premiere are you seeing the issue at exactly the same section in the video? Does glitch look exactly the same each time? Do you see it when you go through frame by frame? If answer to those questions is 'yes', and the artifacts appear the exact same one on the exact same frames every time, that points to an issue with the file. If not, It's probably an issue with Premiere.

Narrowing down the problem to either Premiere or the file is an important first step, because it will help you focus your trouble shooting in the right direction.

Return to posts index

Barnaby KeeneRe: Quick question about a video corruption/glitch problem every 7 seconds in Premiere (video looks fine in media players)
by on Mar 6, 2015 at 10:39:31 am

[Jason Guerra] "blocking artifacts"

Thanks for the reply! This gets me closer to at least searching around for an answer now.

Anyway, the artefacts appear at the same point in the video. When scrubbing through I can see the individual frames being affected and it looks the same every time.

I tried it in After Effects and some other software at my uni and the same things are happening so I guess it's the actual video file (which is annoying as I have a LOT of footage recorded with the same x264 config). It's even more infuriating that WMP/VLC display the video perfectly all the way through with no problems.

What do you think I can do to fix this? Just re-encode all the footage with Handbrake or something?

Computer Science student with an interest in video editing, motion graphics and various forms of digital art. (@SouthclawJK)

Return to posts index

Jason GuerraRe: Quick question about a video corruption/glitch problem every 7 seconds in Premiere (video looks fine in media players)
by on Mar 11, 2015 at 3:19:02 am

Hey Barnaby,

Not sure where you're at with this, but I noticed your files where encoded as x264. I looked into it and PP doesn't x264 support that natively, VLC and WMP does, which is why you're only seeing the issue in Creative Cloud apps. There is a plug-in for x264, but it's a bit pricy. So, your idea to re-encode is the cheeper fix.

Info on the plug-in can be found here. http://www.x264pro.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]