ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

How to achieve this editing effect?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven SproulHow to achieve this editing effect?
by on Mar 2, 2015 at 11:17:59 pm

I've seen this editing effect used in Tony Scott's films and in the Bishop Gorman intro video. Does anyone how to achieve this editing effect?

Here is a link to the original video:

I've tried scaling the duplicate image and lowering the opacity, but it doesn't look the same at all. I'd like to emulate this effect for the video I'm currently editing. Any help would be appreciated

Return to posts index

David BaudRe: How to achieve this editing effect?
by on Mar 2, 2015 at 11:50:59 pm

have you tried to use a different blend mode than Normal? I would try with Multiply or Screen? depending on your shot you may have to do some rotoscoping to keep just the part of the shot that interest you.

David Baud
Post & VFX
Denver - Paris

Return to posts index

Steven SproulRe: How to achieve this editing effect?
by on Mar 2, 2015 at 11:54:57 pm

I've tried multiply and screen. I didn't do any rotoscoping, I was hoping to avoid that. It just seems like there has to be an easier way of achieving that effect without rotoscoping, but I'll try it. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dennis RadekeRe: How to achieve this editing effect?
by on Mar 3, 2015 at 11:20:44 am

Well, IMO the camera shoot definitely has a lot to do with it. The black background with strong lighting on all sides (of his head) could allow the editor to do a chroma on black and still maintain definition. I would think that the blend mode can help accentuate it a bit or a lot depending on the the shots you have. The contrast of light too might indicate a small glow effect, but I don't think that it would make the shot per se.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved