ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Building up a new workstation

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele LombardoBuilding up a new workstation
by on Mar 1, 2015 at 2:35:48 am

Dear all,
I'm going to build a new workstation, capable of good 4K editing. After 10 years spent with FCP7 and HD productions (RED stuff, but HD workflow), I have to switch to 4K. I've already decided to move on Premiere CC, since I really don't like FCPX. I read many things about Adobe app and I know someone had problems and issues, but I think it's pretty usual with high-end workstation: you need to work hard to fix and tune every little things.

My question is more about hardware. I think about a fully equipped MacPro (12 cores, 64GB ram, dual AMD D700) and a Dell UP2414Q or NEC EA244UHD display for 4K monitoring.

So, to have a smooth 4K playback in Premiere CC, what do you suggest? A Red Rocket card? A Blackmagic or Aja dedicated 4K device? Or just the HDMI or Thunderbolt 4K port of MacPro?

Thank you!

Michele

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Building up a new workstation
by on Mar 1, 2015 at 11:41:00 am

[Michele Lombardo] "So, to have a smooth 4K playback in Premiere CC, what do you suggest? A Red Rocket card? A Blackmagic or Aja dedicated 4K device? Or just the HDMI or Thunderbolt 4K port of MacPro?"

A Red Rocket card will help only to decode R3D. A BM or AJA I/O or your video port will not matter in the performance. They are just for monitoring.

Return to posts index

Michele LombardoRe: Building up a new workstation
by on Mar 1, 2015 at 6:17:01 pm

Are u sure Red Rocket doesn't help on playback? I saw there's even a setting on Red Panel (inside Premiere) to activate Red Rocket and I suppose it manages Red footage playback.

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Building up a new workstation
by on Mar 2, 2015 at 8:31:09 pm

'Decode' would be a big part of playback, yes.

I think perhaps the intended meaning was that a BMD or AJA I/O device wouldn't add any capability, and I think the caution was that the Red Rocket only works with Red footage…it has no effect on any other format you would use.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]