ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Opening premiere project on a different mac

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert TurrellOpening premiere project on a different mac
by on Feb 28, 2015 at 8:40:13 am

Hello out there. I am a film student and trying to help out a friend who has put some money into a documentary he is making. I usually use Avid, but my friend has been paying a director and editor who use premiere. He is no longer working with them and I will be helping him to add some interviews and b-roll and improve his movie. I do have the CC subscription and have played around a little in premiere, and I use After Effects quite a bit.

Anyway so my friend presents me with a 4TB drive from the other editor with everything (about 3.9TB) for this film on it. I tried to open the most recent dated premiere project on my MacBook Retina with 16GB ram. Also this Hard Drive would not allow to me make a folder or add Media, but I could take media off it. Premiere told me something about files missing, and then when I did open it, it was doing some process that seemed like it was going to take a while (conforming, I think). I didn't have the time to wait a few hours just to see the project. Also while I was in this project, premiere would not let me move the cache to the same external hard drive all the media is on. Whatever process it was doing to open the project was quickly sucking hard drive space from my internal drive, which I always try to keep 70-100GB free on. So I stopped the process.

What is this process premiere is doing just to open the project?

Would it be a formatting issue or permission issue that I can't add media to this drive?

Why wouldn't premeire let me move the cache to the drive?

The editor he was working with was also using a mac. In theory I would think I could just plug in the hard drive to my mac and pick up where this editor left off.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thank you.

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Opening premiere project on a different mac
by on Mar 1, 2015 at 7:29:37 am

[Robert Turrell] "What is this process premiere is doing just to open the project? "

PPro builds preview files for some codecs to improve playback and responsiveness. The default location for the cache files is on the boot drive so PPro is having to rebuild them on your machine. If the original editor had put the cache on the external drive with the footage then that would have saved you from having to wait through this step yourself.

[Robert Turrell] "Would it be a formatting issue or permission issue that I can't add media to this drive?"

Yes. If it's a formatting problem you are boned because reformatting the drive means erasing the drive. Hopefully it's just a permission issue. I had a similar problem a few months ago where I received a drive (from another Mac user) that I only had read-access to. The issue was not resolvable so I ended up copying all the contents to one of my drives.

[Robert Turrell] "Why wouldn't premeire let me move the cache to the drive? "

Due to the formatting/permission problem you only have read access to the drive.

Return to posts index

Robert TurrellRe: Opening premiere project on a different mac
by on Mar 1, 2015 at 6:18:29 pm

Thank you. That helps a lot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]