ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

My first day using Premiere 8.2, coming from 7.2.2... Nightmares! Questions... Advice?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Laughlin
My first day using Premiere 8.2, coming from 7.2.2... Nightmares! Questions... Advice?
on Feb 26, 2015 at 3:54:10 pm

Hey Walter (and the rest of this forum leader gang!),

How are you? Hope all is well. I have a few questions that I'd love to ask you about my system, and computer, where there might be some causes of Premiere 8.2 acting a little slow. I'm on OS 10.7.5, 16 GB Memory, 2x2.66 Dual-Core Intel Xeon.

I loaded a few past client projects in Premiere 7.2.2, no crashes or hold-ups, with my EX1 footage. Bouncing back and forth, sometimes it likes to regenerate audio peak files, annoying, but it was fine.

Editing in 8.2 yesterday, footage was a mix of EX-1 (Raw .mp4 footage from SxS cards) and Atmos Ninja footage shot from a C-100, straight to Ninja, ProRes LT, and it was stalling out and sometimes slow, but the cleaning the media cache helped, and ensuring things were going to the external drive scratch folder. It does have a hard time with some of the .mp4 footage mixed with ProRes, so this might be part of it, it's mixing codecs and heavy codecs. I also noticed that in 8.2, it will not allow me to use any magic bullet plugins, like QuickLooks, as soon as I drag an effect on, QuickLooks starts, but then I see Premiere giving me the wheel of death. I also have noticed that Premiere was taking a long time to actually "quit" once I saved and quit. Any thoughts?

In case of audio peak files or render files being generated and saved to the wrong folder, in order for me to find and delete those, do you know where the default folder is? I'm totally fine, restarting Premiere, and re-rendering, and building anew media cache and peak file index.

Another item. There were some moments on the time-line where suddenly the playback would go on, and I couldn't get it to stop! I'd see a freeze frame, then hear the audio still playing, but video was frozen. Just a lot of bugs, in my first attempt using 8.2.

I also noticed that 8.2 comes with Lumetri color grade filters. Some of these effects worked, but some would give me weird color rendering artifacts, in between dissolves from one clip to another, very weird, as I had to resort to Lumetri, as my only option, since my QuickLooks wouldn't work. I tried using some "Misfire Vignettes", from Magic Bullet, and those worked ok. Minor effects worked ok.

Lots of weirdness, any thoughts?

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah
http://www.digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: My first day using Premiere 8.2, coming from 7.2.2... Nightmares! Questions... Advice?
on Feb 26, 2015 at 5:47:02 pm

Hi Tom,
Did you happen to update any of these projects from 7.2.2 to 8.2 or are these fresh 8.2 projects?

If you updated your project while still working on it to 8.1/8.2, you could be seeing some trouble. Some customers with complicated projects, features, docs, multicam sequences have reported project file corruption when updating across these major versions of Premiere Pro. It is never recommended to update a project file midstream, particularly if it is a major version like 8.1/8.2.

It is recommended that you move back to 7.2.2 to complete your projects.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
Re: My first day using Premiere 8.2, coming from 7.2.2... Nightmares! Questions... Advice?
on Feb 27, 2015 at 7:40:06 pm

Hi Kevin,

What are users supposed to do when you have an archived project that was started and finished in 7.2.2 and a Client or Producer wants to go back to the project and you are running 8.2 now? Is everyone supposed to keep a computer locked at 7.2.2 just because Premiere archived projects cannot go forward into 8.2 properly? I fully understand changes are made under the hood from 7.2.2 - 8.2, but not allowing projects to carry forward properly for users is asking for a whole lot of problems and un-needed troubleshooting.

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Mar 2, 2015 at 4:29:49 pm

Hi Andy,

[Andy Edwards] "What are users supposed to do when you have an archived project that was started and finished in 7.2.2 and a Client or Producer wants to go back to the project and you are running 8.2 now?"

You can install previous versions of Premiere Pro via the Creative Cloud for Desktop application. This gets you to 7.0. Get back to 7.2.2 via Help > Updates…

[Andy Edwards] " Is everyone supposed to keep a computer locked at 7.2.2 just because Premiere archived projects cannot go forward into 8.2 properly? I fully understand changes are made under the hood from 7.2.2 - 8.2, but not allowing projects to carry forward properly for users is asking for a whole lot of problems and un-needed troubleshooting."

Keep in mind that, in addition to reinstalling, you can also have 7.x and 8.x versions installed side by side.

Hope that helps.

Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Nils Welter
on Feb 26, 2015 at 8:04:58 pm

Hey Tom,
OSX 10.7 is officially not supported by CC 2014.
That means it might work good or less, but adobe didn't test it.

Nils Welter
Adobe Certified Instructor - Premiere Pro

CBC Cologne Broadcasting Center
Cologne, Germany

Return to posts index

Nils Welter
on Feb 26, 2015 at 8:04:59 pm

Hey Tom,
OSX 10.7 is officially not supported by CC 2014.
That means it might work good or less, but adobe didn't test it.

Nils Welter
Adobe Certified Instructor - Premiere Pro

CBC Cologne Broadcasting Center
Cologne, Germany

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]