ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Best Server/Server Set Up for Premiere Pro CC 2014

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Annie Stanley-St Cyr
Best Server/Server Set Up for Premiere Pro CC 2014
on Feb 26, 2015 at 3:44:38 pm

Hey everyone,

I've found myself, as I'm sure many of you have, thrust into a HORRIBLY SLOW SERVER situation at my work place. I tested the transfer rate from SAN to local machine and we are getting LESS THAN 1.5 Mbsp!!! AHHH!!! We (5 editors) are all editing HD video and long form projects. IT IS A NIGHTMARE. We can't play the timeline properly, export speeds are ASTRONOMICAL, frustration is high. We have little to no IT support as this is more of a corporate entity rather than a studio or post house, there was some drama surrounding the purchasing of the server and yeah, I guess IT has written us off to slow transfer rate HELL. I have decided to take it upon myself to work on this incredibly serious issue, I have honestly never seen speeds this slow in all of the facilities I have edited in.

OK, thanks for listening to that, had to get it off my chest.

All that being said, we are running Adobe CC 2014. I am not sure exactly what type of SAN we have, I am going to break down the door of IT today and play 50 questions. I have some experience in server management and archiving, so I know the lingo, the problem is I don't know what questions to ask. Can any of you PLEASE HELP ME?

So far I've got,
-How many people are connected to this SAN?
-What kind of SAN is this?
-What kind of cable are we using to connect to the computers? (Ethernet VS. Fiber)
-Is it on its own switch, or are we on the switch with several other servers?
-Is the SAN software up to date?

Anything else you could recommend I question that could be causing these slow speeds, PLEASE let me know!

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place admin, please feel free to move me around. I checked under the networking section but since I don't really know what type of SAN we are using, I wasn't sure where to post.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Best Server/Server Set Up for Premiere Pro CC 2014
on Feb 26, 2015 at 8:33:53 pm

[Annie Stanley-St Cyr] "Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place admin, please feel free to move me around. I checked under the networking section but since I don't really know what type of SAN we are using, I wasn't sure where to post."

IT departments thinking they understand the networking needs for video, but truly failing, is actually frighteningly common.

I'd suggest you post in the SAN - Storage Area Networks forum [link], where you can get yelled at slash educated by the inimitable, straight-shooting no-BS Bob Zelin.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Annie Stanley-St Cyr
Re: Best Server/Server Set Up for Premiere Pro CC 2014
on Feb 26, 2015 at 9:55:57 pm

THANK YOU! I probably need to be yelled at/and or schooled!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]