ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Is there an easy way to label clips for review by someone?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary HowgateIs there an easy way to label clips for review by someone?
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 10:24:52 am

Hi there,

So I have a ton of footage from many interviews and I need to pick out all the takes and label them so that the client can review them and choose which takes they want to use. So for example I would label all the clips with a text layer say... Person 1, Question A, Take 2 would be "01A2" Is there an easy or good way or even a plugin for labelling dozens of clips? I have done this before but it seems to consist of a lot of duplicating text layers and finicky work for such a small task.

Thanks for any help guys

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Is there an easy way to label clips for review by someone?
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 11:36:00 am

What happened to simply delivering the takes to the client with timecode burned in to allow them to select the material with accuracy down to the frame if necessary?

I understand that clients are all like children who need to be guided through the world with sign posts so they need not use their tiny brains, but honestly, I think you are making your life way more difficult than necessary.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Is there an easy way to label clips for review by someone?
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 11:41:19 am

Hi,

I assume you need to export these?

If so....there are options in the export window for customizing burn in options and this includes metadata that you have added to you clip (I think).

So see what the options there are, and then add you metadata appropriately to each clip.

hth,

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

John HudsonRe: Is there an easy way to label clips for review by someone?
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 4:13:32 pm

We do a lot of interviews for videos and what we do is get every interview transcribed into a word document. When the transcription document comes back I will label each paragraph or each question answered (Whatever make more sense.) with the persons initial and number. Example: John Smith's first answered question would be JS01. As I am naming each paragraph I will also be making corresponding sub-clips in Premiere. After this stage is complete the client / director will go thru the entire transcripted document and and make a select rough cut with my naming (JS01) attached to each paragraph or sentence. All I have to do is drag the sub-clips into the timeline and quickly build the sequence. It also makes easy for revisions when the client says go to clip named JS01 and I can just do a sequence find for that clip.

Hope this helps.

On a somewhat related note I have been using more "master" color correction effects on the clips themselves for projects like this and noticed that if I apply the color correction to the main clip that the sub-clip is made from the color effect is not applied to the sub-clip. You either have to apply the color effect to each sub-clip or do the color correction on the main clip before making the sub-clips.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Is there an easy way to label clips for review by someone?
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 4:27:41 pm

Hi John...

You should do a feature request on propagation of master effects to all sub clips.

but thanks for pointing out that workflow…

for now….pre-pro master clips with base fx prior to making subs is an important workflow distinction.

I'll remember that for future work.

thanks!

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

John HudsonRe: Is there an easy way to label clips for review by someone?
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 6:22:52 pm

Thanks for reminding me to make this a suggestion for Adobe. I just sent it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]