ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

workflow for DVD?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Riker
workflow for DVD?
on Feb 24, 2015 at 12:59:25 am
Last Edited By John Riker on Feb 24, 2015 at 1:14:47 am

I am trying to get some old DVD content into WMV format for archival. Don't complain about WMV. I'm an all Microsoft house with Xbox's all over so optimal for me. Anyway, material is 29.976 interlaced content. I extract it with MakeMKV into a single file but Premiere can't open it. So use Yamb to move the MPEG2 and AC3 files to an MP4 container maintaining the 29.976 frame rate.

When I open this file in Premiere, it sees it as 23.976. If I interpret footage length changes. When I export, it thinks the footage is progressive. Any idea what is the right way to take footage from DVD and get it into premiere, as is, no quality loss?

FYI: I do have Rovi TotalCode so am able to open MPEG2 content natively if Premiere would see it right.

I originally converted to MP4 with Handbrake, but it does not have an option to completely leave the footage interlaced. If there was an MKV to say AVI converter that could do it lossless and eliminate the MPEG2 file if that's the issue be open to that as an intermediate step.

Thanks.

JR

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: workflow for DVD?
on Feb 24, 2015 at 6:02:03 am

Download MPEG Streamclip (it's free) and use it to rip your DVD first, then convert to virtually any video codec. However, WMV is a horrible choice whether you're a Windows guy or not.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

John Riker
on Feb 24, 2015 at 1:42:45 pm
Last Edited By John Riker on Feb 24, 2015 at 1:43:46 pm

I'll give MPEG StreamEdit a try. I have downloaded it a couple times but for some reason didn't end up working for me.

For reference, I went thru a lot of conversions before I netted out with exporting with MakeMKV and then converting to MP4 with Handbrake. Seemed to be the only way the audio stayed in sync with the video when I was done converting. Even if I imported the VOB files into Premiere Pro, the final resulting files were out of sync. I even had one point where there was a hiccup in the video where it started out of sync and went in sync. But when I used MakeMKV that problem went away. However it combines things works better than other things I've tried. With the exception that you can't leave it interlaced that I can see even with passing params in the gui. Believe StreamEdit had the same problem.

JR

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Feb 24, 2015 at 12:14:54 pm

Just curious...why not just import the VOB files on the DVD directly into Premiere?

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Feb 24, 2015 at 2:37:57 pm

What Steve said...why jumping through so many hoops? Copy .vob to hard drive, Import to Premiere, Export to WMV (why though?).

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

John Riker
on Feb 24, 2015 at 2:47:51 pm
Last Edited By John Riker on Feb 24, 2015 at 3:10:15 pm

[Jeff Pulera] "What Steve said...why jumping through so many hoops? Copy .vob to hard drive, Import to Premiere, Export to WMV (why though?)."

Our messages may have crossed, but see my other response on the sync issues I'm running into. Also not to get into WMV and why to much but with XBOX 360 you can only play stereo sound thru the Xbox and not 5.1 audio which is supported thru WMA. And on top of that the Xbox seems to stutter a lot when using other formats. WMV is flawlessly played back. 10 years from now when all my devices are no longer used may rethink but for now best solution for me.

Side note on MPEG Streamclip. It doesn't support MKV files which is OK if it can pull the separate videos out of the file. With other tools I get 5 different videos to pick from which makes sense. I have four separate videos, and then a pointer of a 5th that contains all four right after another. Streamclip always seems to return three "movies" as it calls it.

EDIT: My thoughts are that since Premiere Pro CC can't natively handle Mpeg2 content and I'm using an intermediary codec that I'm not entirely sure they support in Premiere Pro CC that I need to be able to convert the stream to another format or Premiere will keep choking or having issues with it. Just my thoughts.

JR

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Feb 24, 2015 at 2:50:36 pm

Ah, sorry, I see now you did mention that workflow. Have never had out of sync audio importing .vob files, that's weird.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

John Riker
on Feb 24, 2015 at 3:12:46 pm

[Jeff Pulera] "Ah, sorry, I see now you did mention that workflow. Have never had out of sync audio importing .vob files, that's weird."

Are you able to use VOB files in Premiere Pro CC? Note I am on pre 2014 version. I couldn't import VOB's until I installed TotalCode but then have all kinds of framerate issues with these files.

JR

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Feb 24, 2015 at 3:53:58 pm

From the sound of it, were you unable to play ANY MPEG-2 files before the Rovi TotalCode plug-in? If so, you had a bad Premiere install. Premiere can certainly import, play, edit, and export MPEG-2 clips without buying a plug-in.

CS6 most definitely supports .vob import and I'm 99% sure that CC and 2014 still support this, though I can't test at this moment.

Of course, you want to copy the .vob to your hard drive prior to import, don't try to import from the disc into Premiere.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Feb 24, 2015 at 5:26:35 pm

2014 supports it. Haven't done it in a while, but just did a test and it works fine.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
Steve Brame

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Mar 26, 2015 at 4:37:16 pm

i downloaded PPCC2014, and it did a great job of importing the FOB files from a DVD - once i had copied the DVD to my hard drive - fine (WITH audio!) onto the timeline. Cool beans! i then exported it as a QT, then opened PPCC and imported it no problem.

Now with a second DVD...it's not working! Really strange. I've done everything the same. Even tried your idea of changing ".FOB" to ".mpg". THAT works great and plays back with sound in Finder, but as soon as i import it to PPCC2014...there is no sound again.

Any ideas? This seems very strange. My last resort is to just record the DVD into my system via RCA cables and my trusty ol' Canopus converter box...but i'm surprised it's this difficult to get DVD content into Premiere. Thanks for you help, though!

;-)

p.s. are you guys all on 2014 now, or still with PPCC? i knew there were bugs awhile ago and stayed away from it (2014).

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3 / Adobe CC
3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Mar 26, 2015 at 5:39:57 pm

Eureka! (sort of) Before doing a real-time Canopus capture, i tried a conversion in QT Player (v 10)..and it worked! So, here was my workaround:

in Finder, i changed all .VOBs to .mpg. Open in QT Player, export as 480p, and those loaded WITH sound on the PPCC timeline. done. bam. a little tedious, but successful.

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3 / Adobe CC
3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Mar 26, 2015 at 9:29:37 pm

I believe the issue with VOB files is the fact that files on a DVD are restricted to a 1GB files size. So in a long program you can end up with media spanned over multiple VOB files, which introduces the possibility of sync issues.

Part of me wonders that since Media Browser understands spanned clips in the digital camera world, that it might also know about spanned VOB files. But, since DVD is a deprecated delivery format, and Adobe seems to have lost interest in supporting it, I pretty much doubt it.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]