ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

New iMac for Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal KlaeserNew iMac for Premiere Pro
by on Feb 22, 2015 at 10:55:24 pm

I am in the process of choosing a new iMac for my switch over from FCP to Premiere. Before ordering the new iMac I just wanted to make sure that this computer was sufficient for editing HD P2 footage. I am purchasing the computer through Apple. Here are the specs for the computer. BTW...I will storing all media on external HD's.

2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 1GB video memory

Neal Klaeser
Real to Reel Productions
http://www.realvideopro.com

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: New iMac for Premiere Pro
by on Feb 23, 2015 at 1:37:43 am

For HD P2 footage that iMac is just fine.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Neal KlaeserRe: New iMac for Premiere Pro
by on Feb 23, 2015 at 10:37:51 am

I should have listed the speed of the HD which is 5400rpm but Premiere's website recommends a 7200 rpm HD?

Neal Klaeser
Real to Reel Productions

Return to posts index

Robert WithersRe: New iMac for Premiere Pro
by on Feb 23, 2015 at 4:30:20 pm

I'm just about to upgrade my 2012 MBP from 8 G to 16 G because it takes so long to render some effects in Pr and export some timelines in AME. This one has an internal 7200 RPM drive. Will let you know if I get a major speed boost from the additional memory.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: New iMac for Premiere Pro
by on Feb 23, 2015 at 6:44:11 pm

P2 is one of the easiest HD formats to edit. DVCPRO HD, AVCIntra...well suited for editing...unlike AVCHD and H.264 that take a lot more computer processing power.

And never use the internal drive to store the media. That's where you store your OS, apps, music, picture, compressed video files. For editing you always need a secondary hard drive, in this case, and external hard drive. Put your media on the external drive...and make sure to get a 7200RPM or better one.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Neal KlaeserRe: New iMac for Premiere Pro
by on Feb 23, 2015 at 10:08:25 pm

That was my intention to store media on an external drive. But, is a 5400rpm internal HD well suited for applications, photos, music etc?

Neal Klaeser
Real to Reel Productions

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: New iMac for Premiere Pro
by on Feb 23, 2015 at 10:16:08 pm

OH, yeah...fine. Most system drives are 5400 and we've been getting along fine with them. And SSD is better, for sure, but you won't have any issues with a 5400 RPM drive.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

bryce jensenRe: New iMac for Premiere Pro
by on Feb 26, 2015 at 10:03:27 pm

Hi, I am looking at buying a imac 5k for adobe premiere/ cc usage here's my dilemma:
I am looking at getting a iMac 5K 3.5ghz with i5 16 GB Ram. If I were to choose between adding more ram or upgrading to i7 what would be the recommendation as I am maxed out on my budget.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]