ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

MBP: Internal Flash Drive vs. external SSD drive for media and cache and preview files.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaac Brillant
MBP: Internal Flash Drive vs. external SSD drive for media and cache and preview files.
on Feb 22, 2015 at 8:44:08 pm

Hi,

I'm buying a 2.8 Ghz MBP for editing on Premiere pro and I am deciding whether it is better to pay an extra $500 for an extra 500GB storage (1TB total), or if I should put that money towards an external SSD drive (USB3 or thunderbolt I assume) where I can get more storage for my money.

I spoke to Adobe support when I was having some issues I mentioned in another post (which turned out to be a 2013 MBP defect) and Adobe recommended putting my preview and cache folders on the internal MBP drive so that I would see increased speeds. (The media itself remained on the external USB3 drive. I was using an external USB3 with only 5400 rpm.)

If I get an external SSD drive (USB3 or thunderbolt) does this advice still make sense? Or is it better to have my preview and cache folders on an external drive, even though its slower? And then for $500 I could get a 2 or 4 TB SSD drive like one of these Akitio drives:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1059983-REG/akitio_ak_neu2_tis_akt1uh...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1059983-REG/akitio_ak_neu2_tis_akt1uh...

Also, if my actual media is still on the slower external drive, does that mean I'm not gaining any speed by having the cache and previews on my internal?

I'd appreciate any advice. I'm hoping to buy it today if I can figure this out on time.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Nils Welter
Re: MBP: Internal Flash Drive vs. external SSD drive for media and cache and preview files.
on Feb 22, 2015 at 9:38:45 pm

You should locate the cache to the internal ssd. It's faster than usb3 or thunderbolt. The preview files are only media, rendered to a specific codec. So this should work fine on an external drive.

Nils Welter
Adobe Certified Instructor - Premiere Pro

CBC Cologne Broadcasting Center
Cologne, Germany

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]