ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Mac Book Pro vs Mac Pro for daily PPro Editing.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaac BrillantMac Book Pro vs Mac Pro for daily PPro Editing.
by on Feb 22, 2015 at 3:21:41 pm
Last Edited By Isaac Brillant on Feb 22, 2015 at 3:22:31 pm

Hi,

I used an early 2013 MBP for a year and a half for PPro CC every day, but the video card and some other parts of the logic board just died. The mac place said that it probably overheated because I was using a laptop as a desktop and its not built for intensive constant use. Plus there was some dust on the fans.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or do people here use Mac Book Pro's for editing in PPro successfully? Is it overkill for me to get a Mac Pro when I am only using PPro (with some video effect filters like keying and color correction) and not more intensive programs like AE?

(If I do order a MBP as opposed to a MacPro, this time I would buy a cooling stand too.)

Thanks

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Mac Book Pro vs Mac Pro for daily PPro Editing.
by on Feb 22, 2015 at 3:36:52 pm

MacBook Pros are built for editing and other intensive tasks. Heck Apple's own advertising often features Final Cut Pro on the screen. So that's a bogus excuse for the machine dying. A good friend of mine edits a lot of Discovery Channel material at his home on his MacBook Pro and Avid. Has been for years.

Heat, however, IS a major cause of a machine dying. I always had my MB Pro sitting up on a raised platform. I never purchase a fan unit, but just having it up off the table / desk allowed air to get up underneath the machine for better cooling.

So no problem using the machine all day, every day for professional tasks. Just get the back of the machine up off the desk so it can get air underneath it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Andrew KimeryRe: Mac Book Pro vs Mac Pro for daily PPro Editing.
by on Feb 22, 2015 at 6:48:19 pm

Some 2011-2013 MBPs are defective (the video cards go bad which turns the computer into a paper weight). After a couple of class action law suits Apple final started a program to address the issue. http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

With regards to desktop vs laptop, I'll always favor a desktop unless I definitely need the portability of a laptop.

Return to posts index

Ken JonesRe: Mac Book Pro vs Mac Pro for daily PPro Editing.
by on Feb 23, 2015 at 3:28:53 am

Wow! I am so glad I read this thread. My early 2013 Retina MBP has been having video issues to the point that I was just about to sell it on eBay. I made an appointment at the Apple Store for tomorrow morning. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Vince BecquiotRe: Mac Book Pro vs Mac Pro for daily PPro Editing.
by on Feb 22, 2015 at 6:50:18 pm
Last Edited By Vince Becquiot on Feb 22, 2015 at 6:51:28 pm

The problem with Macbook pros is that you don't get much bang for your bucks if you are a power user. On top of that, the biggest screen you can get is 15", which is just tiny for any kind of editing.

The MacPro is nice, but again, you're gonna have to drop a few thousands dollars for a basic system.

I would recommend looking at the iMacs instead. Look at this one (you don't need a 5K display) http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac?product=ME087LL/A&step=config#

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Isaac BrillantRe: Mac Book Pro vs Mac Pro for daily PPro Editing.
by on Feb 22, 2015 at 8:45:48 pm

Thanks for the advice. Based on what you've said, I've decided to get the MBP. I posted some other Qs in another thread though, regarding internal vs external drives, that I'd love your input on.
thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]