ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro Hard Drive Network Question

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan PullitPremiere Pro Hard Drive Network Question
by on Feb 19, 2015 at 5:23:38 am

Can somebody please give me a heads up and suggest a Premiere Pro based hard drive network?

I will be working with A LOT of footage. This project won't be raw but the next one will.

What would I be looking at in terms of setting up a hard drive network? How do people do it? Are network drives even an option?

I'm a newbie to this so any help configuring such a network is much appreciated.

Much appreciated...

Thank you

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Premiere Pro Hard Drive Network Question
by on Feb 20, 2015 at 11:22:35 am

Sounds like you're talking about setting up a RAID. RAIDs are a group of drives usually in the same chassis. Up to 24 drives in a single chassis. There are a slew of options out depending on your system and your needs. Either a single user can be connected to the RAID or you can have the system networked to multiple systems.

In our case, we run a 48TB and 32TB RAID that are connected together in a 10Gig ethernet network with 26 connections. So 26 workstations can all connected to the 80TB of media storage. I also have a very simple 8TB RAID at home which is a chassis with four 2TB drives with FW800 and USB3 connectivity.

So the questions for you are, how much footage will you need to store? You want a RAID that holds at least 50% more than what you need to ensure you have enough room for graphics, audio, renders and overhead to maintain proper speed.

How do you need to connect this RAID to your system? Generally it's going to be SAS, Thunderbolt, FibreChannel or 10gig Ethernet these days.

Are you on Mac or PC?

How many computers need to connect to your system?

Some of the usual suspects for RAIDs, especially large RAIDs and shared storage are Studio Network Solutions, G-RAID, Facilis, Small Tree, Maxx Digital, ProMax, folks like that. If you've never set up something like this, you should definitely reach out to a good local VAR, a value added reseller to help you get set up properly.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Dan PullitRe: Premiere Pro Hard Drive Network Question
by on Feb 26, 2015 at 4:03:25 am

Thank you so much for the detailed response.

To answer your questions:

Are you on Mac or PC?
-- Mac and PC

How many computers need to connect to your system?
-- 2 (Mac + Pc) with possibility of a third down the line

Some of the usual suspects for RAIDs, especially large RAIDs and shared storage are Studio Network Solutions, G-RAID, Facilis, Small Tree, Maxx Digital, ProMax, folks like that. If you've never set up something like this, you should definitely reach out to a good local VAR, a value added reseller to help you get set up properly.

-- Will do. Quick followup: So this can be done via ethernet? I always thought that was too slow for such things.

Return to posts index

Bob ZelinRe: Premiere Pro Hard Drive Network Question
by on Feb 24, 2015 at 12:53:50 am

Walter is correct, and has given you accurate information. There is one critically important fact to remember here - you are not going to do this by yourself. Contact one of the companies (or all the companies) that Walter mentioned, and you will have a working system, that will work wonderfully with Adobe Premiere and your computers. And to answer the question "but can't I just put this together myself" - simple answer. NO.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Dan PullitRe: Premiere Pro Hard Drive Network Question
by on Feb 26, 2015 at 4:06:49 am

Thank you Bob - I have a small budget. I'll look into it. I have no intentions of constructing my own network as I know how many pitfalls that can present. Any suggestions for a small budget rig - See my reply to Walter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]