ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Source Monitor or Sequence Playing Back at Incorrect Audio Rate

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan DeStefanoSource Monitor or Sequence Playing Back at Incorrect Audio Rate
by on Feb 18, 2015 at 7:21:31 pm

Hi All,

I've been struggling with all the new issues that come with transitioning from FCP to PP and thought others might benefit from this solution I found.

Two problems have been plaguing me since the beginning. First of all, the project playing for two seconds then stopping. Then two seconds then stopping. Then two seconds then stopping, ad nauseum. Sometimes it would just start working all of a sudden, but sometimes, it wouldn't. This was a simple but not obvious fix. Change your audio hardware settings to anything other than what they are when the problem is occurring. I don't know why this happens, but it does.

Second issue is when I change the audio rate in one project, suddenly every single project I've ever worked on plays in the wrong audio rate. I have no idea why. I tried the above trick and it would fix the sequence, but not the program monitor. Then I would switch back to the previous audio device and the sequence would be fine, but the program monitor wouldn't play at all. To fix this, I just closed the sequence, adjusted the settings, made sure the source monitor plays back correctly and then opened the sequence again and everything played back normally.

I'm happy with my change from FCP to PP, but the myriad of problems it has with even just playing back footage seems really odd to me. Especially in a version 8 of a program. You're telling me this stuff doesn't happen to the testers? This happens every other day to me.

Anyways, hope this helps!

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Source Monitor or Sequence Playing Back at Incorrect Audio Rate
by on Feb 20, 2015 at 11:27:37 am

[Dan DeStefano] " Change your audio hardware settings to anything other than what they are when the problem is occurring. I don't know why this happens, but it does."

If you are running AJA hardware, this is standard practice in the computer preferences, not Adobe PPro. At least this is how it is on the Apple. System Prefs > Sound > Audio Playback > Anything OTHER than AJA.

[Dan DeStefano] "Second issue is when I change the audio rate in one project, suddenly every single project I've ever worked on plays in the wrong audio rate. "

Honestly don't understand this one or what the issue is. When you say audio rate, you're changing the rate from say 48khz to 41khz? Not sure why you would do that, or I'm misunderstanding the question. We only run in 48khz. This is one of the bigger differences between FCP 7 and PPro in that PPro does not like 41khz audio and tends to have stuttering issues when using it. We make sure we're always importing and set up for 48khz audio when editing in PPro.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]